choosing pump and filter

Jun 10, 2014
Houston
We bought an older home and finally getting around to re furbing the existing pool. The company doing the pool says it is approx. 25,000 gallons. There will be 4 streams of water arching into the air from the sides of the pools (wifes and kids idea) and one water fall with three water outlets. The guy said I needed at least a 2 hp pump and he said he was planning on a 300lb sand filter. Everything I have read and been told is that I should be going with a 500 lb. Is this the concenus on here? Additionally, the piping coming from the drain is only 1.5 inches due to it being an existing OLD pool and to remove that piping was going to be a HUGE problem considering the house sits on the side of a mountain. Any advice would be gretaly appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

So you only have a single 1.5" suction line? That is certainly not ideal for desiring to have high flow rates for your water features.
Is there a floor drain plumbed to the skimmer and then from the skimmer to the pump?
Would be nice to add another suction line.

For a 25k pool, I would suggest a minimum of a 29" diameter sand filter, but going bigger is never really a bad idea, especially if you are going to have a large pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.