Upgrading to Cartridge Filter - A Couple of Questions

hnb

Dec 5, 2022
Alabama
I'm getting ready to replace my 32 year old Hayward sand filter with a new cartridge filter. And while I'm at it, I'll be replacing my Hayward Super Pump. I have a 16300 gallon vinyl pool. I've decided on the Hayward SwimClear C3030 (325 sq ft) cartridge filter and a Hayward Super Pump VS (W3SP2603VSP).
My question concerns pvc piping. My existing system uses 1-1/2" pipe. The Super Pump comes with 1-1/2" connections but the SwimClear comes with 2" connections. Would it be worth increasing the above ground pvc piping I have, piping I can access, from pump suction to the discharge going in-ground, from 1-1/2" to 2" or just replace the piping I need to install the new pump and filter with the original 1-1/2" size? I really can't see the minimal piping replaced having any noticeable improvement, but it never hurts to ask.

Attachments

• IMG_4334.jpeg
    IMG_4334.jpeg
    839.7 KB · Views: 8
hnb,

I agree with Pat... about the pipe size..

I do suggest that you add a valve between the filter and the pump so that you can isolate the filter. This allows you to open the pump lid without the filter draining down.

If you use a 3-way valve it can also allow you to dump water to a drain or vacuum to waste.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: hnb
I'm newbie to cartridge filters. Adding a 3-way valve sounds like a good idea. Would you, with the pump off, just close the port to the filter and open the side port and turn the pump back on? Using a standard flexible drain hose to the outlet would work and get waste water away from the pump/filter area.
I assume a pool diverter valve like this would be acceptable. (150 psi working pressure)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 12.18.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 12.18.52 PM.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.