Sand filter 2 inch valve reduced to 1.5

Testinglife

Aug 24, 2022
Canada
Hello,

Just curious what the down sides might be of buying a sand filter with 2 inch valves when my piping is 1.5 inch. I would just use a reducer. The pool store said there is no down side but I am nervous about buying a filter that is not meant for 1.5.

For example won't the part of the pipe leaving the sand filter that is reduced to 1.5 have a part that is going to collect stuff and need to be cleaned out often?

Last edited:
There shouldn't be much if any downside. The outlet of the filter should be fairly clean, so there shouldn't be much stuff to collect. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hello,

Just curious what the down sides might be of buying a sand filter with 2 inch valves when my piping is 1.5 inch. I would just use a reducer. The pool store said there is no down side but I am nervous about buying a filter that is not meant for 1.5.

For example won't the part of the pipe leaving the sand filter that is reduced to 1.5 have a part that is going to collect stuff and need to be cleaned out often?
Virtually all pools used to be plumbed with 1.5" plumbing. Virtually all new equipment is now 2" or larger. There is no problem reducing the pipe back down. There would be nothing to catch in the clean water anyway. You could use something like these and not have to put reducer bushings in the pipe adapters:

22FJ11_AS01

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.