Pentair IntelliFlo VS upgrade with automation and SWG

LA2240

Bronze Supporter
Dec 1, 2012
I am considering upgrading my main pump to the Pentair IntelliFlo VS to save on utility $.

I am planning to control the new pump with my existing automation (Compool CP3800). I think I've got it figured out what to do (I have to hard wire the pump to the breaker, and will use the automation logic to drive the IntelliFlo via Pentair IntelliComm II). I will run the pump at two speeds using the automation (HI for couple hours a day to skim and push my pressure side pool sweep and/or when in spa mode; LO during the rest of the time necessary to turn the pool volume through the filter). Sound correct?

What is the recommended strategy to turn on the SWG? It is currently wired in parallel with my one-speed pump ... when the pump is on, the SWG is on using power from the same breaker/relay pair. Once I hardwire the IntelliFlo, that will no longer work. I am thinking of putting the SWG on its own dedicated breaker/relay and running it when the pump is on HI and leaving it off when the pump is on LO. Sound correct?

Any advice/feedback appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

You want to pick one: low or high, and run the SWG then. High is safer, as the flow rate will certainly be high enough, but you will probably have a longer run time on low speed, which gives you more flexibility if low speed is fast enough to keep the SWG happy.

It takes another relay from the automation system, but having three speeds has some advantages. Neither the SWG or the pool cleaner will need nearly as high a speed as the spa requires. Running the pool cleaner at some intermediate speed will save electricity (but require the extra relay).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.