30psi with new filters?

Fred Brussels

Jul 3, 2020
Georgia
The pressure gage on the top of my Hayward cartridge filter is reading 30psi. I'm really hoping you can help : )

Here's my set up:
7-year-old pool and equipment
9000 gallons - rectangle 12ft x 28ft x ~4ft
1.5hp Hayward pump - seems to run fine
Hayward cartridge filter - replaced 4 filters in Dec 2019, cleaned them in June 2020
Aquastar skimmer
A&A Mfg. in floor cleaning system - seems to work normally
salt chlorine generator - checked it no blockage or calcium build-up
Hayward pool heater H-series 300,000 BTU - yep it's huge for a 9000 gal pool.

IMG_4619[1].JPGIMG_4618[1].JPG

My gage is still at 30psi and my filter housing visually surges up when you turn the pump on. Scary...

Algae problem solved a while back. shocked it, put in enough Phosfree brand phosphate removal chemicals to get the "food" for the algae out of the water.

Also, I have flushed the pool pump using a 1:2 mix of muriatic acid:water. ran the pump for a few hours. water was not very cloudy. i visually inspected the heat exchanger by looking in the inlet and outlet connection holes and the tubes in the heater look clear.

Any help or clues? Please help!

The pressure gage on the top of my Hayward cartridge filter is reading 30psi. I'm really hoping you can help : ) When i turn on the pump the filter housing bulges up like it's ready to pop.

I do not have an algae problem.

I just flushed the pool heater with 1:2 mix of muriatic acid:water. circulated through the heather with a pump for a few hours. water was only a little cloudy from. then visually inspected. no evidence of a clogged heater.

I installed a new gage and it continues to read at 30psi.

When the pool was brand new 7 years ago, the gage would read around 10 to 15 psi

Here's my set up:
7-year-old pool and equipment
9000 gallons - rectangle 12ft x 28ft x ~4ft
1.5hp Hayward pump - seems to run fine
Hayward cartridge filter - replaced 4 new filters in Dec 2019, cleaned them in June 2020
Aquastar skimmer
A&A Mfg. in-floor cleaning system - seems to work normally
salt chlorine generator - checked it no blockage or calcium build-up
Hayward pool heater H-series 300,000 BTU - yep it's huge for a 9000 gal pool.

Attachments

• IMG_4618[1].JPG
    IMG_4618[1].JPG
    425 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4619[1].JPG
    IMG_4619[1].JPG
    382 KB · Views: 4
Either you have a valve closed downstream of the filter or the filter is clogged with algae.

Will you post test results this time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you know you don't have algae?
Have you done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?
What test kit are you using?
Can you bypass your infloor system?
Post a full set of current test results from your own test kit.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

Please fill out your signature with your pool, pool equipment and test kit type.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.