Aug 16, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Headline up front: New pool, new fill, no chemicals added, water turned green, R-0870 powder will not turn pink.

The full story:
Our 12-year old 18-foot round pool rusted through and collapsed in September 2020 and snapped about one-half of the 1.5 inch PVC piping.

Finding a new pool was impossible at the height of COVID-19.

We bought a DIY 18-foot round in January 2021.

Pool installer completed the install on May 25, 2021 and I filled the pool to just below the return jet. After recovering from a minor back injury, I was able to complete the piping rebuild on June 10, 2021...3 days after the water started turning green.

I have only been a SWG pool owner, so I have no knowledge of any other sanitizing methods.

In desperation, I dumped one tube of HTH granular shock (treats 13,500 gallons) in the pool. I added 160 lbs of salt and turned on the SWG. The next morning the pool water had changed from cloudy green to cloudy blue.

I headed back to Trouble Free Pool school and I read the SLAM instructions. I watched the excellent 2-minute video explanation three times, purchased 4 gallons of 10% sanitizer and sampled the water today for the 1st time to begin the SLAM process. Using my TF-100 test kit, I started the Chlorine Drop Test. I added one heaping scoop of R-0870, the water did not turn pink. I added another scoop. Still not pink. I drive to the local pool store and bought a new 10g "thimble" of R-0870. Still not turning pink.

Please help. I don't want to start the SLAM process until I'm sure it's the right thing to do. Why is the R-0870 powder not tuning pink? How do I get back to normal SWG operations and enjoythe new pool?

How old is your test kit? What are your other numbers? Did you add any CYA to the pool since filled?

You need to test your water, make sure PH is around 7.2 ish, add CYA via sock method to get you to 30 ppm, then start regularly testing and dosing to your SLAM level.

Purchased new R-0870.
Purchased new OTO kit for pH and FC
Added 2 tsp 31.45 baume muriatic acid
Added 1 lb. 4 oz granular CYA
Brushed pool sides and bottom
New pH 7.2
New FC 1.5 ppm
Water still very cloudy.
Commenced SLAM at 12 ppm
Added 108 oz of 10% bleach
Will wait 1 hour to test FC again

Reactions: kellyfair
Good. If you check FC and redose as often as you can, you should clear up quickly.

SLAM update:
FC 9.5
Using TFP Pool Math app, determined that I needed to add 44 oz. 10% bleach to raise FC to 13 ppm.
Water still very cloudy.
Will check FC again before sunset and add more 10% bleach if necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.