26' Intex - Planning, Install, Upgrades, and Landscaping Thread

SWEET on being able to get MY fence. I love how they look!! and they let more air through better as well!

That bonding could be a handful! Good luck with that! I know you will do it and do it right!

End of MAY??? Now that would be awesome!!! Just in time for the HOT time!!!

Kim:kim:

In the future when your liner needs replacing know that you can install a 27' standard overlap liner in your 26' pool. There will be a few wrinkles on the side walls. But its the best option I found next to replacing the whole $1600 pool. It hopefully will extend the life of my pool 5 or six years.
Huh, interesting. You placed the overlap liner over the Intex vinyl wall?

Seems most people have issues with rust before that, you must have gotten lucky to have a frame last that long!

In may case it was a $400 pool, but I get what you're saying! (I got really lucky thanks to a member pointing out the ridiculously low sale price).

SWEET on being able to get MY fence. I love how they look!! and they let more air through better as well!

That bonding could be a handful! Good luck with that! I know you will do it and do it right!

End of MAY??? Now that would be awesome!!! Just in time for the HOT time!!!
Yes. I also plan on staining it, and doing at least once a year powerwashing and re-staining as needed. I'm not a fan of the typical gray aged look it gets if not stained, but that's nearly always what you see with wood fences as most people don't stain them. Heck, usually they have starting to lean in places and need fixing up and people don't do that either!

Well since the Intex stuff for sure doesn't require bonding, I question if I will do bonding just to get a SWCG. I know people swear by them, but bonding 52 pieces of metal is a lot of work and also opens the nice powder coating (which on this model is both inside and outside of the tubes) and makes it much more susceptible to rust, though I should be able to paint it after attaching bonding connectors. I will set it up with the Intex equipment and look into upgrade and possible bonding required at that time!

Yes, I'm hoping end of May. Really depends on the fence. That will be a lot of work. It's ~260 feet of fencing, 3 gates planned, and roughly 40 posts to set, including that strip near the trees in the back where the roots will make it so much fun to dig!

Everyone likes pictures, so here's a section of frame I set up to take a picture to send the inspector with my bonding questions.
full

Things are getting out of control here in the family room!
full

Also I should add I contacted an electrician. He's coming out tomorrow morning to quote installing outlets for the pool (even with the 25' cord it won't reach the house outlets). I'd like extra outlets to add Intex lights to the pool and for a potential future SWCG (if not Circupool, I may be able to use an Intex one or a Saltron Retro or similar devices). He's also going to look at my main electrical panel as there are already multiple double pole breakers installed, and I suspect it may be close to capacity, if not already over, and I require a bigger panel, a sub-panel, upgraded service or some combination thereof.

If I need a bigger panel or sub-panel I may ask about adding in a transfer switch for a manual generator connection to the furnace, fridge, and some lights while he's at it. Power is pretty reliable here but it still can go out occasionally and having a working furnace with a power outage in the middle of winter is nice to have.

I love the grey pool frame. It looks much nicer than the white that I have. And yes to the stained fence. I put up a board on board wood fence and the stain makes it look so much nicer. I've enjoyed watching your process and can't wait to see the results.

Reactions: jseyfert3
I confirmed with the inspector that if I want to add a pump or other equipment that is not listed for use with a storable pool that all bonding requirements for permanent pools would then apply. So, I will likely be sticking with the Intex pump and manual chlorine additions for a while.

An electrician was out this morning. He confirmed my suspicion that our electric panel was overstuffed already. So at a minimum we would need a sub-panel to de-stuff the main panel and allow enough room for pool circuits. But he recommended a service upgrade from 100 to 200 A and a bigger panel instead of just adding a sub-panel we're likely to quickly fill up. This matches with what I expected.

I told him for the pool wiring I would dig the trench and put in a post so they only would deal with the electrical aspects of the electric install. He expects to have a quote to me on Monday.

So that's probably it for updates this week unless the city does a super fast turnaround time on those permits.

And yes to the stained fence. I put up a board on board wood fence and the stain makes it look so much nicer.
What stain did you use? Was it a transparent stain? I like to see the wood grain myself on wood stuff, so if you used a transparent stain I'd like to know your experience with it.

I've enjoyed watching your process and can't wait to see the results.
Thanks! Neither can we!

Last edited:
What stain did you use? Was it a transparent stain? I like to see the wood grain myself on wood stuff, so if you used a transparent stain I'd like to know your experience with it.
I use TWP brand stain. It penetrates the wood. I think it's listed as a semi transparent. I took a pic of the fence (we just had a storm so it's a bit darker than usual). I don't know if this will give you an idea if it comes out the way you want or not. The other pic is a close up of the floor on my deck with the same stain and color. This color is pecan which is darker than most people like, but they have lighter colors that would probably show more of the wood grain. TWP is the only stain I'll ever use; I like it that much.
fen1.jpgfen2.jpg

That seems like a decent color. Which series of TWP did you use?

I'm assuming you've used it before since you say you like it? How long does it last before you need to reapply? Also what sort of wood did you use for the fence? I was thinking I'd just use the cheaper pressure treated pine.

My fence is PT pine on metal posts. I think my pickets were $1.12 each (on sale) which was nice since I did board on board. I first used this stain on my deck 7 years ago. I've reapplied the stain to my deck twice. I like this stain bc it doesn't chip or flake, it just fades. It's easy to apply too. I used the 100.

Oh wow, great price!

I'll see about getting some samples so I can try a few different colors before I commit some $800 or so to buying lots of stain.

I'll definitely be buying a nice airless sprayer, no way I'm hand staining the fence!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rats. The utilities came and marked out the electric in the backyard...not requested by me, for all the houses on my block. They must be getting ready to start the electric powerline replacement. I was hoping to get the fence in before they did that, because depending where exactly the put the new lines I might have to shift my fence up to 10' inwards from the back property line! But if they are marking, they almost certainly plan to start the replacement within a week or so.

What's that saying about plans? Ah well, one way or another it will work out I suppose.

I have seen it go both ways. Either it looks like it’s all marked but they are stuck waiting on one holdout marking (water for example) that holds up the whole project. When a company wants to do work, it’s high on their list but not always a rush for everybody else.

Other times everybody involved comes right away and the marking sit there for a month or more until everything lines up for the utility doing the work. Many times the project needs several special crews and if one or more of them are stuck on other projects, it waits.

Other, other times, the utility is finally ready to go but something more important elsewhere ties up a critical crew and again you wait.

Monday evening I fixed up our spa, filled it, started the acid-aeration process to knock down my fill TA of 325 ppm, and made some homemade pizza. I started catching a whiff of something that smelled dead/rotten. Eventually I realized it was coming out of the vents, and traced it to the basement. I thought it was odd, as usually when something dies (like a mouse) the smell starts gradually, but this came out of nowhere and was strong.

I sniffed around the basement and all the likely spots had the least smell. I was quite puzzled, as it seemed to be coming from the corner of the basement with the deep freezer/dehumidifier. Nothing over there. I started catching a whiff of hot/burnt electronics, and neither the dehumidifier or freezer smelled like that. But there was one other thing in that corner, our electric panel...

The smell was coming from the panel, and the spa breaker and main (100 A) breaker were both hot. I pulled the cover and was greeted with this sight at the main breaker.
full

I quickly went outside and shut the spa off at the disconnect. I then returned to the basement and shut the dryer off. After debating about it for a minute I decided the best course of action was to shut the entire house off, so I switched off the main breaker. This was at 9 PM yesterday evening. I then called up the electrician who was in the process of quoting a pool outlet install and main panel/service upgrade and told him what happened. After I sent him a picture he recommended we have the utility come pull the meter to make sure it was off. He said he'd rearrange his schedule for tomorrow (today) and send guys out first thing in the morning. So basically I'd get my service upgrade ASAP.

I used a few extension cords and my small Honda generator to run the fridge and chest freezer overnight, and spent the night on the couch just in case anything were to happen with the generator and extension cords. The electricians showed up at 7:10 AM and started ripping out the old panel and wires/conduit between the panel and the meter and upgrading them. Before lunch the new panel was in and the new feedlines were run.
full

Before long the main lines were connected to the panel. The inspector showed up around 1:30 PM and gave the go-ahead to have the service reconnected and called the utility. The utility was out within 15-20 minutes and restored power to the house (electrician just had the main breaker off as he finished reconnecting the circuits to the new panel). By 4 PM they had cleaned up and left and we had a brand new panel, 200 A service, and room for expansion. And more importantly, our house had power again!
full

Obviously, they had their hands full with the service upgrade and changing around some wiring that wasn't quite to code in the basement, so the pool outlets are not installed yet. Plus, I said I'd dig the trench, and that's not done yet either, so they couldn't install outlets yet anyway. I won't even start that until I get my pool and fence permits, after which I'll request a utility marking and then I will start the trench dig.

I think I'll have them install an extra outlet on the deck for whatever, an outlet on the side of the deck for our new Saltron Mini for the spa (my first SWCG!), and at least one more outlet in the basement where I plan to put a workbench.

What I don't know is how much this all just cost me, as it was done before I ever got my quote back. Didn't really have a choice, unless I wanted to live without power. I imagine there might be a surcharge for the rapid response. I was told I should have the bill by the end of the week.

In any case, this was fun. I'm off to go turn power to the spa back on and finish the acid aeration process I had to abandon last night. Oh...right after I order more DPD powder! I have enough left for 2, maybe 3 tests. I really should have ordered more earlier!

I have seen it go both ways. Either it looks like it’s all marked but they are stuck waiting on one holdout marking (water for example) that holds up the whole project. When a company wants to do work, it’s high on their list but not always a rush for everybody else.

Other times everybody involved comes right away and the marking sit there for a month or more until everything lines up for the utility doing the work. Many times the project needs several special crews and if one or more of them are stuck on other projects, it waits.

Other, other times, the utility is finally ready to go but something more important elsewhere ties up a critical crew and again you wait.
True. It could be a phase two planning as well or something like that. Especially as right now only electric has been marked, the other marking company which marks phone and cable has not yet been out. When I marked for pool planning purposes both marking companies showed up on the same day, the day before my "dig date".

• Wow
Reactions: Pv2
** your not burned down house had power.

it is a gazillion times better to have power in a not burned down house. HUGE win for the Seyferts. Glad you caught it in time.
Yes, of course! I too am quite glad that it was not worse then a little melted plastic.

That reminds me of something that happened to me a number of years ago. As my wife and I were going to bed one night we both thought we could faintly smell smoke. It certainly wasn’t strong enough to panic over, but it was enough to be a little concerning. We didn’t smell any smoke outside and walked around the house and couldn’t really tell where it was coming from. We had one room left to check, and that was the guest bedroom in our finished basement where my brother in law was sleeping at the time. We debated for a while whether it was worth waking him up and eventually we did.

There was a utility closet in that room with the fusebox for the house (the electrical system was from the 50’s and the house still had fuses) as well as some computer equipment that I used for home automation. I shut down the computer equipment and pulled it all out of the closet trying to smell each part, but nothing really smelled smokey. We still couldn’t find anything with a strong smell of smoke and we were about to give up when I leaned into the closet to look at something and I happened to put my hand on the fuse box as I did and I nearly burned my hand because it was so hot.

I grabbed some pliers and pulled out the main 60A fuse and as the lights went out you could see the fuse and parts of the inside of the fuse box were glowing red. I wound up going upstairs and pulling the meter myself because I didn’t know what was going on in the fuse box.

I think we wound up paying about $1500 to have an electrician come in and replace the wire from the meter to the house and replace the fuse box with a breaker box.

In the morning when I could see I discovered that the main fuse had gotten so hot that the glass it was made of had melted, but for some reason it didn’t actually blow.

Definitely a scary experience, especially considering that we almost just went to sleep without even bothering to try to figure out where the smell was coming from.

OH @jseyfert3 that had to cost you a few heart beats!!! So glad you were home, so glad you were awake, so glad you looked for it.....................so glad you got people in place and ready to work on it asap........yeah it might have a slight up charge but you and your Mrs. and home all being safe is worth anything!!!!!

@Brett S Yeah that is a lesson for all of us just as j's experience is..................smell something off FIND it!!!

Reactions: jseyfert3
So I think updates will come slower and be more brief as the weather gets nicers and work gets underway.

Yesterday I cut down all the bushes at the rear property line and added white flags. lots of brush to get rid of, the pile on the left you can see the edge of is even bigger than the pile you can see.
full

The utility marking is re-scheduled, I can start work Wednesday. I'm hoping to have the pool inspector out later this week for the site inspection, they require the utilities to be marked so I want to get that done now so I don't need utilities marked yet again!

Fence work will begin as I have time. I'm tenatively planning on doing some post hole digging/post setting after work in the evenings but it depends on my motivation and energy. This weekend for sure will see the fence work hit high gear.

I grabbed some pliers and pulled out the main 60A fuse and as the lights went out you could see the fuse and parts of the inside of the fuse box were glowing red.
Wow! That's nuts!

they require the utilities to be marked so I want to get that done now so I don't need utilities marked yet again!
Hit your electrical supply store and buy marking flags in the appropriate colors, if they don’t put them in themselves. Water and gas (blue/yellow) probably come from the road and electric and communications (red/orange) in the back. This time of year the spray paint could be gone a week later when you mow the 1st time. Especially if you fertilized already.

With the shuffling of resources due to current events they will probably take more than one mowing to come back and start working.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.