2-4 Weeks until test kit arrives, warm weekend coming - What can I start now?

sadohert

Silver Supporter
Oct 10, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
Hi All,
Been lurking for a few years, following the local pool store guidance. The first year or 2 was fine, but last year was a certifiable gong show with chemicals.

I'm going all in on TFP method, but I only just ordered my test kit today (2-4 weeks to ship). Tomorrow is supposed to be a very warm day (for up here near Toronto). I'm wondering if I can get anything started with pool opening before I get my test kit (with the understanding I'll need to do corrections). With Covid19 I'm keen to get the kids swimming (even if I blow a bunch of money on natural gas to keep the water temp up :cool:).

Are there any "blunt" ways I can go about getting things started now with test strips and typical chemicals (removing cover, removing winterizing plugs, checking filter, lubricating rings, connecting things, vacuuming, starting pump, etc.)? Or should I really wait until I have my kit in hand?

I'm thinking if I could use non-TFP approach as a coarse way to get going, I can correct things in a few weeks when the test kit comes.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. This will be my first pool opening.

What test kits do you have right now?

If your pool is closed you can open it up and get the pump running and water circulating. You don’t need a test kit for that.

How do you plan to chlorinate your pool?

Add 3 ppm of liquid chlorine to the pool every day once the pump is running until you get your test kit.

Get familiar with PoolMath

Have fun!

Thanks ajw22. I have test strips from last year. I could pick up a new pack if needed.

For chlorine, I need to figure out if any local pool stores will do liquid chlorine... otherwise I guess I'm doing granulated.... I do have pucks but I know I've had an issue with high CYA for a few years, so I've been limiting the pucks (if I use them at all)... (I understand the pucks add CYA?)...

Any solid or granulated chlorine adds additional chemicals.

Trichlor and dichlor add CYA. Cal-hypo adds calcium.

You should be able to find liquid chlorine otherwise delay your opening until your water temp will be over 60 and you can use your SWG.

Thanks again @ajw22. Should I infer that the additional chemicals from the granulated stuff are a bad thing?

Canadian Tire normally carries liquid chlorine.

An American who knows his Canadian Tire Product Catalog!! AMAZING! I had no idea.

Is there any issue with going the Walmart Bleach route in combination? I just picked up 2 jugs of liquid from the Pool store (but this may become unavailable as of today)... so if I'm keeping up the chlorination while I wait for my test kit I'm thinking I'll run out, so need to supplement somehow....

These are clearly "first world" problems *sigh*

Sorry, I think I understand what you're saying. I was thinking "pucks" were the only culprit for adding CYA... I think you're saying any granulated has a downside?

Chlorine is a gas. The only way to sell chlorine in a solid form is to bind the chlorine gas with other solid or liquid chemicals.

Solid pool chlorine binds to CYA or calcium.

Liquid chlorine binds to water and salt.

All chlorine pool products have other chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there any issue with going the Walmart Bleach route in combination?
Most household bleach now has additives. Watch for Fabric Protection, splashless, scents, etc. You do not want any of those. Walmart here in the US carries a Pool Essentials 10% liquid chlorine. I have never looked for it when in Canada.

We spend a few weeks each summer near Pembroke, ON.

Ladder/handrail bolts. You tighten the head and the wedge slides up applying force to the handrails. Snug is good, will damage if overtightened

Thanks!

Pressure seems to be good on filter. A tad high but within range before i usually back wash.

not sure what option to choose for calculating the rate i add chlorine. I don't know what my pool store sells. It's so green do i just dump at least a full jug of 2 in?

Screenshot_20200404-151455.png

If using liquid chlorine use the bleach line. So no selection needed. Just enter the % strength. One gallon of 10% will give you about 5ppm per day. I think the jugs at Canadian Tire were 5L. So about 3/4 of a jug would be good.

So, probably classic "chemical cowboy" move, but I just put 20 L in. I guess i over did it. I judged it based on how many times I've done a double-jug pour in the past, and it was common.

But it has definitely made a turn to blue in the last 45 minutes.

20200404_161345.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.