Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fill Water TA swings

1. Back To Top    #1

Fill Water TA swings

Is it reasonable for fill water from the city tap to have large swings in TA?

12/7 - 150
    1/27 - 210
    2/6 - 270
    2/13 - 190, 200, 190 (repeated test 3x!)
    18Kgal play pool+spillover spa, Tahoe Blue Quartzscape refurb June 2017, ~40'x15'
    1.5HP VS JeP, CCP420 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 400HD, 1.0HP VS JeP for sheer descents
    Caretaker 5-port in-floor system, AP1400 SWCG, Aqualink: RS-8 Combo, iQ20, One-Touch
    K-1005, K-1515 FAS-DPD, K-1766, Taylor 9056 comparator, SpeedStir!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fill Water TA swings

I know there is a +/- for every test so that could explain the 2/13 test BUT the swing from 12/7 to 2/6 ???? I know some places switch their sources for different reasons. I wonder if that is what is going on with you. That is a wild swing for sure!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What's your water source? Where I used to live (Peoria, IL) the city water supplier drew about 1/4 of the water from the river and 3/4 of the water from wells. I had no need to measure water there but I imagine if you have a similar situation depending on where the water is coming from at the time it could change quite a bit. If the city draws all their water from one source then it seems a little weird.
    Hot tub: Indoor Intex 28409E "Six Person" inflatable. 290 gallons. Taylor K-2006 test kit with Taylor 9265 Speedstir and TFT CYA test. Using dichlor/bleach/borax/muriatic acid.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for spurring me to talk with my local water company! I learned that they have 2 sources. The main one is groundwater/well, but they sometimes source from the county water district. Looks like the county water is a mix of groundwater and reservoir (both local and imported).

I couldn't find any alkalinity line item in the local company's water quality report, but that report is only annual and 2017 hasn't been posted.

The county reports alkalinity monthly. It's reported as CaC03 and has large swings from month to month: from the ~50ppm range to the ~90ppm range.

I'm not a chemist, but I think there are probably more carbonates than CaC03 in the TA that we measure with our test kits. Is the above variation in county alkalinity the kind of thing that could affect my fill water readings?

Anyway, one thing I'm going to do is start tracking my fill water in my Pool Math App. I've created a new pool called "Fill Water" there and will take fill water readings at least once (probably twice) a month for awhile so I can look for patterns and understand the range that I am dealing with.

Thank you again.
    18Kgal play pool+spillover spa, Tahoe Blue Quartzscape refurb June 2017, ~40'x15'
    1.5HP VS JeP, CCP420 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 400HD, 1.0HP VS JeP for sheer descents
    Caretaker 5-port in-floor system, AP1400 SWCG, Aqualink: RS-8 Combo, iQ20, One-Touch
    K-1005, K-1515 FAS-DPD, K-1766, Taylor 9056 comparator, SpeedStir!