Huntsville, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Before I started doing my own testing (about 2 weeks ago) Leslie’s told me I needed to add Calcium and Alkalinity Up. I did so not knowing I actually didn’t. About 2 days after I began to see tiny white flakes (like snow flakes) floating. I began reading here all the posts about calcium carbonates and calcium sulfates. I could not identify those flakes because every time I tried to capture any, they disintegrated in the cup, tweezers, or anything I tried to collect them in. They have been there throughout the PH levels 7.2-8.2. I don’t believe my CH or CSI is so far out that I should have them. SWG is clean with zero deposits. If in fact this is from CH level, this will correct itself as it gets hotter out, water evaporates, and fill water replaces pool water, correct?

Can we still swim in the water like this?

Fill Water:
PH: 6.8
CH: 0
TA: 60

Latest Test
PH: 7.2
FC: 7
TA: 80
CYA: 70
SALT: 3200
CC: .5
TC: 7.5
CH: 250
BOR: 30

I have a video that you can see it better but I could not upload it.

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 10
You are right, your water parameters don't indicate a scaling problem.

Have you added Calcium and Alkalinity Increaser at the same time? I can only imagine that this created locally increased CSI and formation of some calcium carbonate, which will hopefully dissolve eventually.

Reactions: black_vanilla
If in fact this is from CH level, this will correct itself as it gets hotter out, water evaporates, and fill water replaces pool water, correct?
Unrelated to whether it is scaling or not, just wanted to point out that you have this backwards. As water evaporates it leaves behind dissolved solids like calcium, CYA, salt, etc. If the replacement water has calcium then your calcium hardness will increase over time because more is being added with every top off but none is being removed by evaporation. CH can only be reduced by removing liquid water and replacing it with water that has a lower CH value.

Keeping your TA level on the lower end of the ideal range, 60 ppm, will help to reduce scaling within the SWG cell. Managing this level should be pretty easy as your fill water TA is at 60 ppm.

You are right, your water parameters don't indicate a scaling problem.

Have you added Calcium and Alkalinity Increaser at the same time? I can only imagine that this created locally increased CSI and formation of some calcium carbonate, which will hopefully dissolve eventually.
No, I added them on different days

Unrelated to whether it is scaling or not, just wanted to point out that you have this backwards. As water evaporates it leaves behind dissolved solids like calcium, CYA, salt, etc. If the replacement water has calcium then your calcium hardness will increase over time because more is being added with every top off but none is being removed by evaporation. CH can only be reduced by removing liquid water and replacing it with water that has a lower CH value.
But my fill water has no calcium. So am I still wrong?

Evaporation leaves dissolved solids like calcium behind. Think of the way you create sea salt: You just let water evaporates and leave the salt behind. Adding water back to it creates salty water again.

In a best case scenario you replace evaporated pure water with other pure water and don't change a thing.

But usually water contains calcium so each you replace evaporated water with fill water you add more Calcium. Over time it accumulates.

To reduce CH, water needs to be drained with the dissolved calcium and then replaced with water that contains less calcium.

Do you have a water softener?

Evaporation leaves dissolved solids like calcium behind. Think of the way you create sea salt: You just let water evaporates and leave the salt behind. Adding water back to it creates salty water again.

In a best case scenario you replace evaporated pure water with other pure water and don't change a thing.

But usually water contains calcium so each you replace evaporated water with fill water you add more Calcium. Over time it accumulates.

To reduce CH, water needs to be drained with the dissolved calcium and then replaced with water that contains less calcium.

Do you have a water softener?
I do. That’s why my fill water has no calcium in it. The way it’s hooked up, it softens all water right as the main line enters the foundation. So even the outdoor faucets are softened.

Am I to assume it’s ok to swim in this water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support