Numbers good, cloudy water?

nksprts

Silver Supporter
Aug 10, 2016
NE Pennsylvania
I recently been able to keep my numbers pretty solid without much maintenence. I just tested today and don't see much to change yet my water is cloudy. It's not awful but for sure not as clear as it once was. I can see the bottom juat blurred a bit. Is this normal is there something I am doing that can clear it up?
My numbers as of today are:
Fc 5. 5
Cc 0
TC 5.5
Ph 7.5
Ta 100
Ch 200
Cya 40

What am I not doing? Thanks in advance!

Cloudy water is normally a sign that algae may be present. So run an OCLT tonight. Take your FC to 10 ppm after the sun goes down. Leave your pump on over night and test FC in the morning before the sun hits the pool. If you have less than 1 ppm loss of FC, you are good chemistry wise. Then it would be a filter issue.

Take care.

Your test numbers look good - how did you obtain them?
I did it with my t 100 test kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Cloudy water is normally a sign that algae may be present. So run an OCLT tonight. Take your FC to 10 ppm after the sun goes down. Leave your pump on over night and test FC in the morning before the sun hits the pool. If you have less than 1 ppm loss of FC, you are good chemistry wise. Then it would be a filter issue.

Take care.

I will do so tonight, found the link on what to do here. Would you say is it safe for the kids to swim in today?

Not sure if algae has my Fc stays pretty constant but will do the test tonight. If it doesn't drop by 1 you say it's a pump issue. As you mean juat the pump isn't cleaning and cycling it enough?

It is safe to swim if your FC is at or below shock level for your CYA; you can see the bottom of the deep end; and your pH is between 7.2 and 7.8

Not a pump issue, a filtering issue. Now that might be a pump issue if you need to pump longer to filter. You do not say what type or size filter and pump you have.

Take care.

It is safe to swim if your FC is at or below shock level for your CYA; you can see the bottom of the deep end; and your pH is between 7.2 and 7.8

Not a pump issue, a filtering issue. Now that might be a pump issue if you need to pump longer to filter. You do not say what type or size filter and pump you have.

Take care.

First of all thank you for the help this far. I added the pump to my signature sorry about that.

So its safe to swim, but you said it would be a filtering issue. Could you elaborate on that? I apologize for my ignorance.

If you have solids in your pool that are not being filtered out you have a filtering issue. Either the filter is not effective enough for this pool, or it is dirty and being bypassed, or some other reason.

You have a single cartridge filter. I am not up to speed on above ground pools so will let others guide you on that.

Please complete the OCLT and that will confirm the cloudiness is not algae that is being killed continuously.

Take care.

If it is an algae problem, would you see some CC as the chlorine is taking out the algae? I'm in a similar situation, but have tons of landscaping going on. Dirt is getting under my cover every so often depending on what they're doing and the wind direction, so I've just chalked it up to really fine dirt that's settling on the bottom, and getting kicked up when we open things up...

Following this thread :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK I did the oclt test. I am guessing not an algae problem then? I tested my fc 9pm just as it was getting pretty dark out and again this morning at 6 am and I had 0 loss. Read the same at 9 as it did 6.

What now?

No clue and help is appreciated. Thank you

Great. Do not let up on the maintenance additions of chlorine. Keep FC within the target level for your CYA.

This is now a filtering issue. Your pump/filter has a single paper cartridge. Have you cleaned it lately? There are members with these type pools that switch to sand filters as they are not satisfied with the paper filters. Do some research on that.

If you stay with the cartridge filter you may find better quality filters available.

Take care.

I just changed to a brand new filter yesterday, and even after letting run all night noticed no difference with cloudyness.

So with the no change I can rule out algae? And place all blame on the filter/pump not working good enough? It been up since June 1st wouldnt I have seen this get cloudy like this before all that time?

If it is an algae problem, would you see some CC as the chlorine is taking out the algae?
Not necessarily as UV (sunlight) will eliminate the CC's very quickly. I've seen green swamp threads with hardly any CC's.

OK I did the oclt test. I am guessing not an algae problem then? I tested my fc 9pm just as it was getting pretty dark out and again this morning at 6 am and I had 0 loss. Read the same at 9 as it did 6.

What now?

No clue and help is appreciated. Thank you
That's great news that you passed the OCLT.

Is this one of those pools that have the filter and pump built into the skimmer? Those are extremely undersized and take forever to remove debris. Do you have a way to vacuum the pool?

Not necessarily as UV (sunlight) will eliminate the CC's very quickly. I've seen green swamp threads with hardly any CC's.

Is this one of those pools that have the filter and pump built into the skimmer? Those are extremely undersized and take forever to remove debris. Do you have a way to vacuum the pool?

Yes, it is built in. It says it should take 12 hours to cycle my pool which most days is on for that long. I am confused though why if its the pump fault it took 2 months before it wasnt working good enough. I do have a little hand held vacuum which is really only good for getting some sand and debris off floor. I usually brush the floors and walls and "vacuum" once a week. I am guessing the answer I have to do is upgrade the pump was wondering if there is anything else I could do. Was trying to limp through the rest of this summer and most likely looking to upgrade the pool next year.

also so if its pump it just means its a bit dirty correct? i shouldnt be afraid to let the kids swim in it if its cloudy like that as long as my numbers remain good?

You can safely swim if your FC is at or below shock level based on your CYA; you can see the bottom of the deep end; and your pH is between 7.2 and 7.8

So throw them in!

I would suspect it took time for the inability of the cartridge filter to remove the very fine debris such that it finally built up to the point it is noticeable.

Take care.

You can safely swim if your FC is at or below shock level based on your CYA; you can see the bottom of the deep end; and your pH is between 7.2 and 7.8

So throw them in!

I would suspect it took time for the inability of the cartridge filter to remove the very fine debris such that it finally built up to the point it is noticeable.

Take care.

thank you for all your help with this mk, Its pretty cloudy almost not able to see bottom. So that is my only option at this point? Look for a better pump/filter system?

That would be my guess - but I am not an expert on Above Ground Pools. Guide domct203 has an above ground pool and can give more specific advice on equipment.

Take care.

Any insight you could give Dom? Thanks!

Any insight you could give Dom? Thanks!
This really sounds like a chemistry issue.... have you recently added anything to the pool besides chlorine?

Don't get hung up on that '12 hour turnover', there is no way to guarantee that every square inch of pool water has been filtered. For all we know your pump may only be drawing in the water immediately in front of the skimmer.

It would be a great help to see the pool water, could you post a picture or two?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.