Numbers good, cloudy water?

You may safely swim in your pool when the FC is at or below shock level based on your CYA; you can see the bottom of the pool,; and the pH is between 7.2 and 7.8

Good job!

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing unique on the storms. Net out debris. Keep adding chlorine.

Ok, thank you. I was reading it will drop ph fast and what not. Juts keep an eye on numbers like always.

Prior to starting a SLAM you get your pH to 7.2. During the SLAM the pH will increase at about the same pace as it did prior to the SLAM. The chlorine is essentially pH neutral.

Take care.

Your pH test is not accurate at FC above 10. Do not test for it until your are done with your SLAM.

Also looking much better and after I checked fc after work it's down to 12.5. I noticed alot of dead algae and debris sitting on bottom in spots but water much clearer.... Is it safe for me to get in so I can vacuum easier? The chlorine is down a bit and I will bring it back up afyer I get out?

- - - Updated - - -

OK thank you

Also looking much better and after I checked fc after work it's down to 12.5. I noticed alot of dead algae and debris sitting on bottom in spots but water much clearer.... Is it safe for me to get in so I can vacuum easier?

See post #61

Your pH will not change during your SLAM anymore than it did prior to the SLAM from either your fill water or aeration. Chlorine is essentially pH neutral.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup -- it is harmless.

OK thank you seriously for all the help this place is great. I'm sorry for another question but relying to absorb as much as possible. So I was trying to explain to the wife why slam is going to work better then the shock she did etc. Am I right in saying shock is just a way to increase fc quickly..... Is it any difference them just adding bleach to the water to Raise it to what you want?

A SLAM is simply a shock over an extended period of time - SLAM = Shock Level And Maintain.

A one time shock doesn't keep the FC level high enough for a long enough period of time to completely eradicate all of the algae, so as soon as the FC drops back to normal (which is often too low in relation to the CYA level), the algae comes right back.

It is easy for the pool store to sell them. They are not 'bleach':eek:.

The shock once a week keeps the algae just at bay that the pool looks 'clean'. Visit one of those pools, I will bet their water is clear, but not TFP clear. And if they forget to shock or have another 'event' adding organics, algae comes in a rush. Then the pool store will tell them their phosphates are high, and sell them a high priced item for that, that does not nothing, then another potion, then they will say they have 'chlorine lock' and need to drain water. What mess.

OK I didn't have time yesterday to do it so I did today. My fc dropped to 13 overnight so before I raised it again, I got in and vacuumed it really well, scrubbed floors and walls really well, and skimmed it. I also have been running the filter 24 7 for 4 days and cleaning the filter 3 times a day. The filter isn't coming out green anymore, and the pool doesn't have dead algae on the floor anymore. It's turning back to blue just a bit cloudy still but worlds better. This is what it looks like now, I will raise the fc back up to 16, is there anything I could adjust or may be doing a bit off? First slam ever. Thanks!

20170805_133914.jpg

Just keep that FC at shock level the best you can. Brush as often as you can. It's safe to get in the pool if FC is at shock level or below, just don't wear your designer swimsuit LOL.

Yes, don't even fret about an OCLT until the water is clear. Keep an eye on return flow and clean your filter when you have a noticeable reduction in return flow force.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.