Numbers good, cloudy water?

This really sounds like a chemistry issue.... have you recently added anything to the pool besides chlorine?

Don't get hung up on that '12 hour turnover', there is no way to guarantee that every square inch of pool water has been filtered. For all we know your pump may only be drawing in the water immediately in front of the skimmer.

It would be a great help to see the pool water, could you post a picture or two?
No I haven't had to add anything besides chlorine in quite a bit. What chemistry would cause it to do so?

I will take a few pics and post after work tonight.

Adding clarifiers, flocculants, large doses of Cal-Hypo, etc.

Does the debris settle to the floor when the pump shuts off, or does it stay suspended?

No I haven't added anything..... Hmmmm

It usually settles to the ground.
If that is the case I would let it settle and try to vacuum out as much as you can.

Is the filter cartridge in good working order? No rips/tears that you can see? How often do you clean the cartridge?

If that is the case I would let it settle and try to vacuum out as much as you can.

Is the filter cartridge in good working order? No rips/tears that you can see? How often do you clean the cartridge?

Just replaced the cartridge with a new one yesterday.

and I am sorry I think I misunderstood you, it does settle to the ground though it is still cloudy. Like after I have it off all night go out to turn it on and its cloudy.

thank for the direction so far.

If the pool is now turning green this was indeed a chemical issue all along.

You are going to need to SLAM Process the pool to kill this algae.

You will need to raise your FC to shock level based on your CYA. If the CYA is still 40ppm, your shock level is FC 16ppm. You will need to hold the pool at 16ppm the best you can until all algae is dead & the pool is clear as glass (& CC = less than 0.5ppm).

Have a read through the SLAM procedure I just linked, and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

You'll get through this, and we're going to help you.

If the pool is now turning green this was indeed a chemical issue all along.

You are going to need to SLAM Process the pool to kill this algae.

You will need to raise your FC to shock level based on your CYA. If the CYA is still 40ppm, your shock level is FC 16ppm. You will need to hold the pool at 16ppm the best you can until all algae is dead & the pool is clear as glass (& CC = less than 0.5ppm).

Have a read through the SLAM procedure I just linked, and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

You'll get through this, and we're going to help you.

Thanks you for the reply, I thought it was not algae since I passed the oclt test?

Yes, I'm very surprised as well.

Regardless, now the task at hand is killing algae. You will be checking FC a lot, how are you doing on testing reagents? A SLAM can chew though FC reagents quickly, and you don't want to run out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unless someone put green coloring in your pool, it's algae.

When replying, there is a button above the text box that looks like a picture. If you click it, a dialogue box will open up where you can select the location of the pic (PC or WWW) and upload.

Here's more info, but don't use Photobucket.

Posting Photo's Tutorial

Dang.... So I'm the rare occasion where I passed a test and still got algae? I just started reading about the slam process. Can I ask cause I never did either, what is difference between just shocking the pool and slamming it?

- - - Updated - - -

Is that a puck floating in the pool?

Yes I just put that back in when I got home hoping it may help. It hasn't been in the pool for a week or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Also a dumb question, how did I get algae if my numbers have been spot on for the last 2 weeks?

Somewhere along the way, your FC fell low enough for algae spores the grow an reproduce. Once that happens, daily FC targets are not enough to kill the algae faster than it reproduces. At first the pool will look 'off', it will loose that sparkle. Then it clouds up, then it goes green. Your timing on the OCLT was just right that you passed, or there was error in your testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.