First slam, suspecting a filtration problem.

Jul 24, 2016
Vacaville CA.
Hello pool guru friends, I want to start by saying this form has helped me quite a lot but I still consider myself a total rookie. I started following the methods taught here about eight months ago after after having my pool replastered. I decided I wasn't going to leave it up to the pool service bozos anymore. I have been very proud of the way my pool looks and get compliments all the time. After recent heavy rains here in California I now have a muddy green pool. runoff from my lawn flowed into the pool and algae appeared overnight. I am starting day four of the slam process and cleaned the filters after day two. They were filthy brown with mud. My cartridge filters are only about two years old at the most. I'm a little concerned the filters are not performing well and I may have a problem as the pool is not clearing up very quickly. I completely drained the spa and scrubbed it Thursday night and Saturday morning I noticed I have mud settlement in there again. Is it typical for some of this to bypass the filter? It wasn't a whole lot but enough for me to repeat the process. I am running the pump at a medium/high rpm 24/7 with a polarurs 360. Also brushing the pool once a day. Pool is still cloudy green with visibility at about 3'. does all this sound pretty typical or might I have something wrong. Here are my chemical readings., TC 22... CC .5... FC 21.5. ....PH 7.4... TA, 80..... CH, 280.... CYA, 50
dd0f7244cf7911a0225fc0e61273094e.jpg
d4552ab63d4fd430bb851887d5a91d9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D,

I doubt your filter is bad, I can only assume it is doing its job...

You should be cleaning your filters based upon the pressure gage PSI. I would think, with all that "stuff" in your pool, you'd have to clean your filter a lot more often.

What is your clean filter pressure at the speed you are currently running? At what filter pressure are you cleaning your filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

D,

I doubt your filter is bad, I can only assume it is doing its job...

You should be cleaning your filters based upon the pressure gage PSI. I would think, with all that "stuff" in your pool, you'd have to clean your filter a lot more often.

What is your clean filter pressure at the speed you are currently running? At what filter pressure are you cleaning your filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for your reply, typical filter pressure is at 20 and only gets to about 22 before I clean it.

Continue to follow the SLAM procedure and that pool will clear up nicely. Remember, the 'trick' is to maintain the FC level at shock level as much as possible, run the filter 24/7 and brush often.

You are on the right track! You can help your filter out by putting a t-shirt in the skimmer basket making sure the water can still get through. That will act as a filter and help catch some of that dirt.

When you cleaned the spa you stirred up some of the dirt I bet. It is going to take time. Keep doing what you are doing and it will clear up in time.

Care to take and share a picture of the pool and water. We might be able to add some more help once we see it.

Kim:kim:

Things are looking much better today so my concerns are pretty well alleviated. I can see the drain in the spa and my brush head in 7 feet of water. I'm only getting a very slight indication of combined chlorine in my test now.
1a62f54fa3a945b5a3379e3082e3faa3.jpg
b6c786a0c44f1e7dedb27102e8479fb1.jpg

Excellent progress and your original post was perfect for explaining your situation, right down to a picture looking down at the stairs! :)

Sorry to hear about the runoff, and great that you knew exactly how to handle it.

Excellent progress and your original post was perfect for explaining your situation, right down to a picture looking down at the stairs! :)

Sorry to hear about the runoff, and great that you knew exactly how to handle it.

Thank you for your reply and complement. This place has helped me a great deal, typically I can find what I am looking for with a search. The guy at the pool store thinks I'm nuts shocking my pool at 20 ppm Fc.. I have learned from you folks not to listen to them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.