SLAM without FAS/DPD test

alex39

Jan 14, 2024
Limassol, Cyprus
I have a pool with visible (green) algae I'm hoping to clean up with the SLAM process. However, I'm based in Cyprus and having trouble finding a FAS/DPD chlorine test here.

Does anyone happen to know where to get a FAS/DPD chlorine test in Cyprus?

Or, alternatively, any suggestion of how to approach this without being able to run an overnight chlorine loss test?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Do you accurately know what your CYA level is?

What test kits do you have?

Can you obtain liquid chlorine that has a known % of chlorine?

If you can determine your CYA level and have liquid chlorine that is fresh witha known percentage then you can try following our SLAM Process asked on calculated amounts of chlorine using PoolMath.

Basically nuke the pool with high doses of chlorine and do the best you can to determine when the algae is clearEd.

I'll look into that. Use of liquid chlorine for pools appears to be very rare in Cyprus — the pool stores I visited only carry trichlor and dichlor, which is all anyone seems to use. I'll see if I can source fresh liquid chlorine from somewhere else though.

Reading this article more carefully, I wonder if the CYA levels are very high and part of the solution will be to re-fill the pool. I'll get a CYA test as soon as I can and see what the levels are.

Thank you for the advice!

Try cleaning supply companies for liquid chlorine or pure bleach.

High CYA definetly can be part of your problem. Draining and starting with fresh water then adding 30ppm of CYA will reduce the liquid chlorine necessary.

Being in the EU, you may be able to order this kit from Spain...

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.