Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

The driver of the paver delivery truck - 81 years old. Born in 1935 and works 6 to 7 days a week - he definitely loved what he does. Well dressed in a pressed uniform and good attention to detail. It was a pleasure to meet and talk to him.

LOVE it all! The coping work done! The hard working driver (bet he has so stories to tell!) the BLING! All of it!

What color of grout will you be using with the BLING tile? That will make a HUGE difference in the final color of the tile.

Will you be putting BLING on the steps? How will you have it done? I have ideas if you have not thought of any.

:cool: This will be YOU looking at your pool!

Kim:cat:

Wow! It looks so much richer in color when you see it on the gunite versus on the box. Pretty bling!!

I was wondering why that was and think I figured out why one was bling and the other relatively bland:
a) One was in sunlight, the other in the shade.
b) The brown background versus the grey background.
c) Most important reason was probably - the one on the box had the plastic sheet on top, while the one place on the gunite had the plastic sheet below.

What color of grout will you be using with the BLING tile? That will make a HUGE difference in the final color of the tile.

Will you be putting BLING on the steps?

Hey Kim

We are thinking of keeping it to a white / sliver grout. Initially, we were considering matching the tile, but then decided that we want the "mosaic" effect. It will probably also go well with the white coping and decking.

No bling on the steps. Not a big fan of the strip look, but if I had the money, I may have glass tile on the entire steps :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are using the same tile but in the 1x2 mini subway shape so you need to pick your surface to help our decision, LOL.

We considered white plaster, but dont like the teal blue color water that white plaster sometimes gives off. Also, we feel that the pool may look dated - since not too long ago, the only finish available was white plaster. The latest where we are is : Use the plaster color from WetEdge Deep Sea Blue Prism Matrix, but the pebble / glass-bead combination of Wet Edge Indigo Blue Prism Matrix. May consider adding a few more glass beads. It also has the abalone shells as standard and those really sparkle.

Like they say, the only pain is when you spend the money. After that, it always going to be a thing of beauty for many years to come. So we are determined not to make a short term money decision with something as long term as the pool plaster.

Oh, very nice!!!! If the tile boxes have lot numbers, you may want to check they are all the same. If not, you may want to open the boxes to verify all the colors match. I remember reading cchopkins pool build thread with the same tile and they had to resolve a matching problem. Probably won't be an issue, but you would want to know now not after it's installed. It's on the first page of this thread:
New pool build in North Texas! A long and skinny pool....

Oh, very nice!!!! If the tile boxes have lot numbers, you may want to check they are all the same. If not, you may want to open the boxes to verify all the colors match. I remember reading cchopkins pool build thread with the same tile and they had to resolve a matching problem. Probably won't be an issue, but you would want to know now not after it's installed. It's on the first page of this thread:
New pool build in North Texas! A long and skinny pool....

I checked a few boxes - there were around 12 I think. Then I got lazy. I also figured that if there were any that were differing shades, I would get them put on the areas that have low visibility - like the back of the spa. Or in the waterline that is not visible from the patio.

- - - Updated - - -

Outstanding. I can't wait to see it finished. I love the white travertine and the tile choice.

Thanks Pierre. We are very happy with the choices - so far.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have enough tile you can do a 4 square "diamond" on the steps spaced out. Maybe 3 or 4 on each step. Just an idea.

I like the grout color you are thinking of.

Since we are going with a higher end plaster ( Prism Matrix ), we decided to keep the steps clean. I do like the idea of the 4 square diamond - wife was not so keen. Guess who won that discussion...lol

- - - Updated - - -

Decking and tiling in full swing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.