Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

That deck is looking gorgeous! You must be loving it! Any progress on deciding what you wanted to do for the grout? That has to be decided before plaster doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have decided to go with white. It can be done after plaster also but it should probably get done before.

We tried some samples with the darker grout and we were not thrilled. The other thing PB mentioned that if the white grout seems too stark and overpowering, and want to make it lught gray or light blue, we can do a 'wash' with the color and it will still look good. But the reverse is not possible - take a dark grout and make it look white or light later on - without a lot of work.

Sweet!! They do tend to use the pool as a trash can! Oh well at least they clean it up!

SO when will the plaster be??

So do you have a test kit yet? You are at the point you will be needed one soon. Look in my siggy for the one I think is the best bang for the buck.

Kim:cat:
Plaster sometime next week. Trying to get on the schedule. PB got the cleanup and everything to keep us ready for plaster. Just in case there is an earlier opening, we will be ready.

Since you are SO close to getting it done I have some links to share with you. BUT make sure to talk to your Pool building about the plaster start up one since HE holds the warranty card!

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim:cat:

We have decided to go with white. It can be done after plaster also but it should probably get done before.

We tried some samples with the darker grout and we were not thrilled. The other thing PB mentioned that if the white grout seems too stark and overpowering, and want to make it lught gray or light blue, we can do a 'wash' with the color and it will still look good. But the reverse is not possible - take a dark grout and make it look white or light later on - without a lot of work.

That makes sense. The more I looked at the pictures with the white grout the more I liked it. Between the grout and the white coping/decking I think it pops beautifully. It achieves that more mosaic look you were going for but I can see too why it had to grow on you. As everything comes together it ties in more nicely. Good to know it can be changed a little later if needed.

So hard to make these decisions and visualize them beforehand!

The plaster crew was apparently on site today but it was called off. Something about a narrow space around the 360 infinity spa that they needed better tools to reach OR my PB has to work with tiling people to open up area a bit more and then tile back later. I was not at home when this happened, so dont have first hand information. I did see on my security cameras that the crew was on site.

Bummer!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have more rain coming the next few days and I think the "fix' may take longer. Sometime next week will be plaster hopefully, but I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. It's all part of God's majestic plan!!

All this rain...omg. I have seen more rain since we started building the pool than the last 12 months. Played golf last weekend and it rained out after 4 holes. Again, today, rained out after 4 holes.
But I saw a pool being plastered in my neighbourhood. Interestingly, the "tank' for the plaster was mounted on a second truck. Most builds here I see the tank / trough placed in the yard and taken away the following day after acid wash.

Wonder if heavy rain within 3-4 hours affects new plaster...

Oh I see what happened... They'll find a way... When I designed my stepping stones I left 4" on the inside walls so I could fit my hand in there to dig out leaves that as I predicted, get trapped in there, but I remember the plaster crew and the tile guy complaining about the tight space to work around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very annoyed with my pool builder right now. The whole narrow area around spa needed a "solution" and it took a week for them to discuss and figure out what to do. On thursday it was decided that they will do that "fix" on Saturday and entire pool plaster on Monday - memorial day.

We reconfirmed everything on Friday. Saturday morning no one shows up. I text PB and he says that they are running behind schedule. ( how can you run behind schedule at 10 AM?? ). An hour later I get a text saying that the plan is cancelled and the new schedule is for Tuesday and Wednesday. The excuses are plentiful - my PB is very creative that way (looks like its a pre-requisite to being a PB). Apparently, the heavy rains on Friday made them worry about seepage which is why the plan was postponed. How the heck can you worry about something without even visiting the site after the rain. And if you were worried about seepage, why was the crew "behind schedule".

Seeing how angry I was, he put me in touch with the owner of the plaster company . He was not able to confirm or deny whether we were even on the schedule. He was surprised that we were bumped to start with. So, my take is that we were never on the schedule to begin with.

On the positive side, PB never once dodged my phone call or left a text unanswered. So, Tuesday / Wednesday it is. With my luck, it will be raining on those days....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.