Zero Amperage

Deftonesman

May 5, 2020
Ottawa Canada
Hi Everyone,
I have a Aquarite Low Salt system with a Turbocell low salt cell.
My understanding is the chlorination cycle on my unit is 180mins.
After 180 mins, the current reverses and starts the chlorination cycle over again.
I have my desires% set to 85.
To my calculations, in a 180 minute chlorination cycle, my cell should be generating for 153 Mins. ( I know, I know, I just opened the pool)
What I see is the following:
I have run the pool for the last 24 hours straight.
I check it every hour. The lights on the display says Power On and Generating is Green.
My salt levels have been calibrated at 1800 ( normal level for low salt systems)
My question is the following:
Every hour I toggle between information levels, my Cell Voltage is showing aprox 32 volts, however my cell current is showing 0.00 AMPS and my instant salinity is 0.
To the obvious, my cell is in a non chlorination cycle so would assume that is normal.
HOWEVER, it is always in this state: 0 amps. every hour I check and it stays at 0. According to my settings, it should be running 153mins per 180 cycle.
If i set it to desired %100, NO CHANGE.
If i set it to super chlorinate, then no problem, it will run 24 hours at all levels are normal including AMPS & Instant Salinity levels. My amps usually run from 3-5 amps.
If i power off the unit and back on, it the cell amps will run at 3-5 levels for 30-40 mins, then kicks off back to 0.
Water Temp is cold, 60 degrees. However I also turned on the heater and it continued to be the exact same issue.
I called Hayward, they basically said the cell is fine, no errors on the panel and when i power off and on, the cell amps/volts are normal levels.
But this still bothers me, why do I also see my amps at 0? It seems my unit is stuck on a non chlorination cycle.
If and when i force the unit to generate by on/off or super chlorinate, works fine.
Anyone out there with thoughts? Maybe its normal but in my 5 years of owning this, I do not recall such an issue? Unless I just noticed it.

OK thanks James, here is my findings and as per your calculation of under 60 degrees it functions at 20% of output. This I had no Idea!
I reset the power to the Unit around 930AM.
I knew 180 minutes would take me to a new cycle at 12:30PM, which it did. I heard the click and my APMS jumped from 0.00 to 3.25.
To your calculations of my water Temp below 60 and my %desired set to 85%, the chlorination cycle would only be 30 minutes.
85% of 20% = 17%
17% of 180 minute cycle is aprx 30 mins.
Well 1 PM as I am watching the unit, I heard a click and my amps dropped back to 0.00.
This is working exactly to design, I just wish I knew about this under 60 degrees 20% output!!
Thanks James, helped me allot

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.