Wood Project: Bedside Tables with Embedded Qi Charger

Do you use Apple or Android, I’m guessing by the photo Droid, but asking won’t hurt? If you’re an apple user I’d swap out the charger and use MagSafe instead. The magnet will put it into the right place every time.

We both use Android. I did think about an embedded magnet and some magnetic "rails" on the top just to act as locator edges. But that starts to get pretty cloogy.

This is my only suggestion that won't detract from the beauty of the nightstands.

think episode 2 GIF by Star Wars

Other than some nubs of some sort, as you mentioned, I can't think of anything that would not be awkward. What is the accuracy of placement required for the phone to charge? I've never used the Qi charging on my phone because I've had a metal case for years, and the current case I have (Rokform) requires me to take it apart and remove the magnet if I want to use Qi. I think you are probably correct that in time, you will get used to where to place it so you hit it without really thinking about it.

--Jeff

I have it a good 1/4" away from the charger pad so that limits how much play you have when placing the phone. It isn't too bad though probably 3/4" right/left and top/bottom.

BTW: My phone also has a metal plate on the back so I can connect to the phone holder in my car. I just put it down on the bottom of the phone and it doesn't interfere with Qi charging.

My iPhone 11 with a thin Otterbox case sucks trying to work with an Apple MagSafe charger. I have to remove the hard plastic shell and just leave the rubber boot on for it to work. Even then, the magnet lock part of it doesn’t work … but that may be because the 11 is not designed to work with a MagSafe charger.

BTW: My phone also has a metal plate on the back so I can connect to the phone holder in my car. I just put it down on the bottom of the phone and it doesn't interfere with Qi charging.

Good to know. I thought that the early Apple Qi chargers (iPhone X) had issues if there was any metal around. Maybe they have figured that out. Or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention.

--Jeff

Place a small cloth on the top except not on the magnetic spot. When in a sleep daze you'll know the spot to put it because it doesn't have the fabric on it.
Try one of those old granny lace round pieces, you know what I mean?

maybe put a piece of metal on the back of the phone, or two, (not near the wireless charging zone) and embed a couple of magnets into the nightstand. Maybe it'll 'snap' into place. Could use those car air vent magnets as a base.

I want to do something similar to what you've done, but mount a waterproof tablet on a wall outside on top of a wireless charger secured by magnets (or something similar) so I can always have a spa/pool controller available by the water.

I love it!
Been on the hunt for nightstands myself.
I have old stuff so I just plan to insert a grommet for cords & install a receptacle w/usb hidden inside. Hoping to retrofit some nice used ones off fb marketplace.

I can’t do much with wood besides sanding/staining/painting so i have asked my father in law to make me a really slim (6” wide) table for between my couch & the wall that we can set drinks on. I plan to put those boat cup holders in it & charge ports.
Nothing beats custom!
Wish you were nearer - i need some wood countertops too!
I am always looking for ways to improve things & customize them to my needs.
Growing up I guess I assumed everyone was like that & that every family had plumbing , electrician, carpenter, hvac & mechanical abilities as we’ve always pretty much done everything ourselves 🤣
Paying someone to change my oil or clean my gutters never crossed my mind. My mom is feeling it now as she is getting older , now divorced , and living almost 2 hours away in a resort community & She’s having to pay people to do some things that she would have never done so for before. We do the maintenance on her car when she comes here & i do improvements to her house when i go there. She was like “ what do i do if I break down?” I said “You call a tow & get a rental like everybody else”. It’s a foreign thought to us.
I am thankful I grew up being taught the skills i have & I’m trying to do the same with my kids. My son is 11 & has already bought his own 4wheeler & is in the process of upgrading parts on it. My daughter is 14 & will be starting on a 1981 chevy truck build soon so it’s ready when she can drive. They both have pretty good book smarts & mechanical aptitude so hopefully the world is their oyster whatever path they decide on. Being helpless isn’t an option around here 🤣

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Place a small cloth on the top except not on the magnetic spot. When in a sleep daze you'll know the spot to put it because it doesn't have the fabric on it.
Try one of those old granny lace round pieces, you know what I mean?

You mean a doily? That might work but I think the added thickness of the material will take this charger beyond its limits. So far I am just setting it there and haven't had any real issue. My wife loves hers it is easier to use than her previous charger pad which was always hit or miss.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.