Wiring Intellichlor IC40 to Easytouch PL4 and Pentair Superflo VS pump

stoteda

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 15, 2020
California
I am upgrading my pump / controller and wanted to add salt generation. I worked with Pentair tech support and they spec’d out the Easytouch PL4 with Screenlogic, Intellichlor IC40, and the Superflo Variable Speed pump.

But as I am getting ready to install the system, it seems I am not able to connect the IC40 to the PL4 since it lacks the connector at the base of the PL4. I have been looking through the circuit diagrams and it may be that I need the separate power supply for the chlorinator? When we were working through the original spec, I was told I don’t need a separate power supply.

-Steve

I have gone through the TFP Forum postings ( great resource! ) and am aware of some of the issues in connecting the Superflo VS pump to the Easytouch. I could use some guidance here as well.

Any suggestion on connecting the Easytouch to the Superflo? The Pentair technician suggested using two of the relays to wire up two speeds, but one of the answers to a post here at TFP suggested the Superflo needs to be wired directly to the main supply, and a low voltage cable used from the relays to control the speed settings.

I bought the Easytouch to add the Screenlogic system, but am realizing that I may have a series of less than ideal conditions with my choice of components.

Like an earlier post, I am limited by only having 110V out at the pool pad, and would have a major project to upgrade to 220V.

Regarding the superflo, it can run on 110v I thought, so I don't quite follow what the issue is with power supply at your equipment pad?

In terms of automation, yes you need to wire to mains and then use a low voltage cable to wire the pump to low voltage relays in the easytouch. Each pump speed you need to trigger will use up 1 low voltage relay. The superflo manual has a diagram of how this wiring is intended to work.

S,

Assuming that none of the equipment can be returned, you have very limited options..

The letter "L" in PL4 stands for lite or limited version of the EasyTouch.. None of the lite versions come with the built-in SWCG power center.. To be able to connect your SWCG cell to the EasyTouch you will need a power center..

The above power center is wired to the load side of the pump/filter relay inside the EasyTouch. This keeps the cell from running when the pump is off.

Your Pentair SuperFlo VS can be run off of 110 volts AC.. Normally, all VS pumps are wired to get constant AC power. To control the speeds of the SuperFlo you need a special cable..

The SuperFlo manual shows how to connect the cable to the relays in the EasyTouch. Two relays will give you 2 speeds..

If you can return the stuff you have purchased, then we can provide you a list of material that would work better, but of course, it will cost more..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Thanks Jim,

I am not sure why Pentair would have given me the part number to order, 522353 and Intellichlor cell with the pump, if there is a better way to do this. I have not installed anything, so I will see about the return. Can you suggest a better alternative, and if I can return all or part, I will probably do so.

Here are my goals:

- Upgrade to a variable speed pump, without having to rewire the pad for 220V.
- Add a Salt chlorinator.
- Move to a easy to use iPhone based interface for basic setting and use.
- Wire and plumb for a passive Solar we will mount on the garage roof next year.

There is one small issue, in that the house WiFi will not reach all the way to the pool equipment pad. So I understood that the Pentair ScreenLogic system creates it's own "hotspot" to use for the App on the phone or tablet when in range of the transmitter.

I was trying to keep the upgrade cost down, but I can see that this is going to become a larger project.

Here are the details for the existing pool:
Large in-ground pool, ~40,000 gallons
No water features other than a pool light
Main pump (need to replace) and a booster pump (new) for the Polaris cleaner
Sand filter (large Sta-Rite)
Wired for 110V through an old buried conduit from a separate circuit breaker

-Steve

I realized I should have "prioritized" my goals!

- Move away from the manual timers currently on the equipment pad.
- Wire and plumb for a passive Solar heater we will mount on the garage roof next year.

Also, I just joined as a Silver Member as a "thank you" for this site, which I can clearly see is going to be a great resource.

-Steve

Steve,

What size circuit breaker does your 120 pool use now???

I suggest that you get this EasyTouch system, which includes an internal Power center for the salt system, plus an IC40 SWCG.. (will add link later)

I've got to step out for a while, but will answer your question later today..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Jim,

The pool pad is fed by a 12 gauge service feed on a 20 amp breaker. There are two 20Amp breakers feeding the pool pad (connected by a pin in the handle of the breaker). This made me realize that I actually have 220VAC, with the two phase connected, and I went out to the pool pad this afternoon and confirmed I have 220VAC to the box. There is some old box with a old Bussman fuse inside that connected to something (no gone) at one point well before my time here in this home.

I also check the pump, an old Sta-rite with an AO Smith motor, also rated for 240VAC...so I have made a pretty big mistake here! I look forward to your recommendation, which could now include a 220VAC pump.

-Steve

Steve,

Looking at your priority list, it appears that a better option might be to use your lite version of the ET and a 2-speed pump.

You can add the SWCG to the lite version ET, you just need an external power supply, and the IC40. The lite version has a very limited set of functions.. 4 schedule max. The lite ET comes with ScreenLogic

The unit I listed above comes with an internal SWCG power supply and the IC40.. It has a full set of functions.. 12 schedule max.. It does not come with ScreenLogic.

This is done using ScreenLogic. Set up is easier on a PC, but a phone works as well...

- Move away from the manual timers currently on the equipment pad.

Either EasyTouch will do away with your timers..

- Wire and plumb for a passive Solar heater we will mount on the garage roof next year.

Both ET's have an internal solar controller

It might make more sense to go with a 120 volt 2-speed pump.. controlled by either EasyTouch.. With a 2-speed pump you could get away with the lite version ET,

You would need to buy a 2-speed relay.. they cost about $100 bucks or so

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steve,

Well that makes a lot of difference.. Since you have 240, you can either get a 240 volt 2-speed pump and go with the lite version of the ET/with ScreenLogic.. (Cheaper option..)

Or, you can get the full up ET that I recommend, plus ScreenLogic, and an IntelliFlo pump. (The more expensive option.)

The main problem with the lite version ET is that you only have 4 programs/schedules.. For each speed you want the IntelliFlo to run you need a program or schedule. So you use them up pretty quickly with the IntelliFlo

A 2-speed pump is almost as energy efficient as the IntelliFlo. I assume that you do not have a heater..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Allen,

I don't have a Spa, and also no water features. In terms of heating, we had a water heater a long time ago, but it's no longer serviceable and we will go to solar (we get pretty good results with just a cover at night).

Jim,

You referred to a link in your note for the Easytouch, but I didn't see one. I assume it's the one listed by Jim, PN# 520593.

I am in the process of getting the RMA set up for the Easytouch Lite,, but had a question on the swap out of the Easytouch PL4 PN# 522353. If I keep the Intellichlor IC40 I have, can I just swap out the PN# 522353 for the following PN# 521213? There is also PN# 521214. These two appear to offer a load center, but are not Easytouch, rather Intellitouch.

It seems that the recommendation is to get the full version of the Easytouch, and that is PN# 520593, this will give me the Intellichlor, power supply, and the the load center base in the enclosure for the wiring (I had overlooked this aspect). I can then add the Intelliflo pump

I will likely go with the

You need to price things out but I think you get a better deal on the 520593 bundle of the Easy Touch with the IC40 cell. So you may want to return your IC40 cell.

Steve,

Seems we are missing one of my posts... :scratch:

You do not want the IntelliTouch, which is designed for a complicated pools..

The one I was trying to link to was the 520593, just like Allen... It comes with an internal power supply and the IC40 as a package.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim and Allen! Since I didn't unpack and install anything, it looks like I will be able to return the items. I will order the 520593 and once it arrives, will get started with the installation. Thanks for all the help in cutting out what would have been a very complicated and expensive mistake.

Since I have a range problem in terms of using Pentair's ScreenLogic, Jim suggested I get a 900MHz link extender, PN# 520639. I assume I need that in addition to ScreenLogic2 protocol adaptor PN# 520500, or the basic Wireless and ScreenLogic2 kit PN# 522104 which has the protocol adaptor and what I assume to be a Wi-Fi client.

I am sure I will have questions once I start the install, so I really appreciate all support here.

Thanks.

-Steve

Steve,

ScreenLogic does not use WiFi.. It uses two transceivers similar to what old portable phones used.. This wireless link connects the EasyTouch to your protocol adapter inside your house. The adapter is then connected to your home network.. This mean that you can control things via your PC or Phone or Tablet.. The device can then talk to your home network via a cable, WiFi, or by IP address..

Personally, I would wait and see how well (or not well) the wireless transceivers worked, before I purchased any extra "stuff".. I bought the Wireless and ScreenLogic2 kit PN# 522104, which includes the Protocol adapter 520500 plus the wireless links 522620... Not sure if they has the range you need???

I would set them up near each other, and confirm the system works, and then see what kind of range they will provide.

I am not sure if P/N 520639 is an extender or ??? I don't know enough about it to make any comments.

How far is your equipment pad from your house???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.