Wiring intelichlor to relay?

cchaynes

Jul 6, 2020
Wallingford, PA
I have the inteliconnect automation box, should I use one of the relays to power the cell? Or the wire together with the pump so that it only runs when the pump is on?

The manual shows it wired to the main panel.

I assume it is smart enough not to run in a no flow situation either way?

I believe the RS485 cable goes from the Intellichlor power center to the Intellitouch using the J20 com ports to control the Intellichlor. Let's confirm with @Jimrahbe

I believe the RS485 cable goes from the Intellichlor power center to the Intellitouch using the J20 com ports to control the Intellichlor. Let's confirm with @Jimrahbe
Thanks, that's the automation piece, I was thinking AC, so I actually answered my own question! I decided the read the manual for the power center rather than making assumptions and it is definitely supposed to be tied to the pump wires! Just being a man and assuming I know what I am doing as usual!

Here is a thread with a bunch of links for Intelliconnect.

Reactions: cchaynes
cc,

Every Pentair automation systems requires you to run the AC power for the salt cell's power supply through the Pump/Filter relay.. Except the IntelliConnect. If you don't plan to use both relays, then I would use one of them control the AC power to the cell's Power Center.. If not, in theory, the IntelliConnect is supposed to prevent the cell from making chlorine when the pump is off..

In all the other Pentair automation systems, when the pump is not running, all the cell lights are out, because it has no AC power.. With the IntelliConnect, the lights are on, but the cell's output % drops to zero..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: cchaynes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cc,

Every Pentair automation systems requires you to run the AC power for the salt cell's power supply through the Pump/Filter relay.. Except the IntelliConnect. If you don't plan to use both relays, then I would use one of them control the AC power to the cell's Power Center.. If not, in theory, the IntelliConnect is supposed to prevent the cell from making chlorine when the pump is off..

In all the other Pentair automation systems, when the pump is not running, all the cell lights are out, because it has no AC power.. With the IntelliConnect, the lights are on, but the cell's output % drops to zero..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks!

This isn't clear as the instructions for the IC didn't contemplate intelliconnect!

So I need to rewire the system, it isn't getting any power, I wired it together on the pump relay.

I assume both relays are 220V by default?

Sorry, I didn't reply earlier, I missed the email notices.

cc,

There are two relays in the IntelliConnect. Each relay has two normally open sets of contacts.. This means the relay can control either 120 or 240 Volts AC.. it just depends on how you wire it up. The IntelliConnect does not provide any High Voltage to the relays, it just turns them on and off.. You have to provide the input voltage to the Line side of the relay, and then wire the Load side of the relay to whatever you are trying to control.

See this manual, page 7, wiring diagram... https://houstoncoolpools.com/pdf/IntelliConnect_20180402_082936.pdf

Thanks,

Jim R.

cc,

There are two relays in the IntelliConnect. Each relay has two normally open sets of contacts.. This means the relay can control either 120 or 240 Volts AC.. it just depends on how you wire it up. The IntelliConnect does not provide any High Voltage to the relays, it just turns them on and off.. You have to provide the input voltage to the Line side of the relay, and then wire the Load side of the relay to whatever you are trying to control.

See this manual, page 7, wiring diagram... https://houstoncoolpools.com/pdf/IntelliConnect_20180402_082936.pdf

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim.

Based in what I am seeing, the power center for the IC can be wired exactly like the pump and heater. Skip the relay and wire direct to the panel and control with the rs-485.

Does that make sense to you?

That should control the unit and not have it attempting to produce chlorine when the pump is off.

I think that I had overcomplicated it in my head.

cc,

Correct..

I guess what I was trying to say was... "If" you were not going to use both relays in the IntelliCenter, I would use one of them to control the SWCG.. Just because I want to see the SWCG lights go out when the pump is off.. That said... with only two relays, I doubt anyone is not going to use both of them for something else.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

cc,

Correct..

I guess what I was trying to say was... "If" you were not going to use both relays in the IntelliCenter, I would use one of them to control the SWCG.. Just because I want to see the SWCG lights go out when the pump is off.. That said... with only two relays, I doubt anyone is not going to use both of them for something else.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks.

Interestingly, I just wired it this way. 220v constant to the power center, and then the RS wires to the inteliconnect, and I get nothing at the salt cell.

When I go into the (new version of the) application to add it, it seems that you can only add the sanitizer on relay 1! It makes no sense if it doesn't need to be on one, but that is what seems to be the issue unless I have an equipment issue.

Do you know for sure if anyone has it setup without a relay?

If I have to do this, do you think it will require the pump and the power center to be on the relay?

cc,

The IntelliFlo pump gets constant AC power, it is never run through a relay.

I can't really see how the IntelliConnect can shut off the Power Center.. Maybe, but I doubt it..

I suspect that you have blown the fuse in the Power Center.

If possible, try to measure the AC input voltage to the power center, and then the DC output voltage going to the cell.. The output DC should be about 40 volts..

Thanks,

Jim R.

cc,

The IntelliFlo pump gets constant AC power, it is never run through a relay.

I can't really see how the IntelliConnect can shut off the Power Center.. Maybe, but I doubt it..

I suspect that you have blown the fuse in the Power Center.

If possible, try to measure the AC input voltage to the power center, and then the DC output voltage going to the cell.. The output DC should be about 40 volts..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, I was thinking that I could remove the is wires just in case and then I should be using the system without the automation. Will check the voltages and get back tomorrow, it is threatening rain now and getting dark!

Appreciate the help!

Craig

Thanks, I was thinking that I could remove the is wires just in case and then I should be using the system without the automation. Will check the voltages and get back tomorrow, it is threatening rain now and getting dark!

Appreciate the help!

Craig
The 10 amp fuse seems fine, the line voltage is ok, can't seem to get a reading from the DC side, it is tricky in there. Tried to get a reading at the connector but not sure if I got my probes in enough or which of the 4 wires to test.

No green light on board (saw in a video there is one that should be on)

I can't imagine it is toast, but who knows. I only just connected it and my previous incorrect wiring wouldn't have sent much if anything at it.

Calling Pentair but not expecting much help there. Edit(no help)

At this point, it is basically detached from the automation and should just power up.

Last edited:
cc,

The power center is pretty dumb.. AC power into a transformer which steps it down to 24 Volts AC.. This AC voltage is then converted to a DC voltage by the power supply board.

Your AC input wiring can use 240 VAC or 120 VAC.. Make sure it is wired for whichever AC voltage you are using.. Test the AC out of the transformer.. If you have 24 VAC and no DC than the power supply card (Surge card) is bad or has a blown fuse. Test the DC with the cell connected and disconnected.. to see if the cell is loading it down.

Thanks,

Jim R.

cc,

The power center is pretty dumb.. AC power into a transformer which steps it down to 24 Volts AC.. This AC voltage is then converted to a DC voltage by the power supply board.

Your AC input wiring can use 240 VAC or 120 VAC.. Make sure it is wired for whichever AC voltage you are using.. Test the AC out of the transformer.. If you have 24 VAC and no DC than the power supply card (Surge card) is bad or has a blown fuse. Test the DC with the cell connected and disconnected.. to see if the cell is loading it down.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I seem to have no voltage coming from the Transformer whatsoever. I have tried to change the fuse (10amp red) but it did nothing, which makes sense it is downstream from the problem it would seem.

Pentair has opened a WO for a service call. Strange that they shipped a bad unit, but I suppose it happens.

I think we have exhausted our potential efforts.

It does sound like in order to get the IC40 to be recognized by the Inteliconnect, that I need to use relay one and reassign relay two for the light. It isn't covered in either manual but Pentair seems to think that is ok somehow. Thoughts? I could always rewire it while I await their technician. I assumed it would work just like the pump, and perhaps it does. Direct Line to panel and rs to Inteliconnect.

If I do or I don't, do you see any issues with having the 240 volts sitting there potentially hitting a dead transformer?

Thanks for all the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.