Wiring intelichlor to relay?

Craig,

What color input transformer wires did you use??? In my whole life I've only seen a couple of bad transformers.. And most of them were blown up at installation by applying 240 volts to the 120 volt windings..

Just a thought.. When you looked at the 240 volts going into the transformer, did you measure between L1 and L2 and get 240 volts, or did you measure L1 to gnd and then L2 to gnd?? If you measure to gnd, it can give you a false reading.. I'd test it again and make sure you actually have 240 VAC..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I seem to have no voltage coming from the Transformer whatsoever. I have tried to change the fuse (10amp red) but it did nothing, which makes sense it is downstream from the problem it would seem.

Pentair has opened a WO for a service call. Strange that they shipped a bad unit, but I suppose it happens.

I think we have exhausted our potential efforts.

It does sound like in order to get the IC40 to be recognized by the Inteliconnect, that I need to use relay one and reassign relay two for the light. It isn't covered in either manual but Pentair seems to think that is ok somehow. Thoughts? I could always rewire it while I await their technician. I assumed it would work just like the pump, and perhaps it does. Direct Line to panel and rs to Inteliconnect.

If I do or I don't, do you see any issues with having the 240 volts sitting there potentially hitting a dead transformer?

Thanks for all the help
The power center is dumb, and so am I it would seem!

I retraced my steps backward and it seems one of my wire nuts was loose, so it must have been giving inconsistent power to the PC. Bought some nice big blue ones and tightened them all up and boom it all fired up.

I appreciate all the assistance, so often it ends up being something simple!

OK, now for those who are reading this thread, I thought I would document the details of the setup.

I am not running the power center through a relay in the Inteliconnect. 240 straight to it. Then run some 22 gauge between the PC and The RS485 terminals in IC, it takes a minute to sort itself out and you will have full control over it.

My assumption is that so long as the unit and lights are on, so long as the "cell" light is off, it is idle and no harm comes from it being lit up all the time. When it is idle the level lights are still on, the salt light is on, and the flow light is either red or green. Just want to make sure that the unit won't be harmed.

Thanks for all of the help!

C

C,

Please run this quick test... With the pump running and the cell on you should have some of the output% lights on.. If you turn off the pump, do the output lights go to zero???

I'd give it five minutes to change.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Craig,

That is perfect!!! :thumleft:

In other Pentair automation systems all the lights go out because they take the AC power away from the cell's power supply, shutting off any chlorine production.

The IntelliConnect just turns the output % to zero, which basically does the same thing.. It ensures that the cell does not generate any chlorine when the pump is off.

I "assume" that you still need to identify the #1 relay as "Flow Enable" (or whatever they call it) so that the IntelliConnect knows when the IntelliFlo pump is supposed to be on or off..

If this is true, then the relay can't be used for anything else, like to turn on a light.. Unless you only want the light on when the pump is on.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Craig,

That is perfect!!! :thumleft:

In other Pentair automation systems all the lights go out because they take the AC power away from the cell's power supply, shutting off any chlorine production.

The IntelliConnect just turns the output % to zero, which basically does the same thing.. It ensures that the cell does not generate any chlorine when the pump is off.

I "assume" that you still need to identify the #1 relay as "Flow Enable" (or whatever they call it) so that the IntelliConnect knows when the IntelliFlo pump is supposed to be on or off..

If this is true, then the relay can't be used for anything else, like to turn on a light.. Unless you only want the light on when the pump is on.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hey Jim

I am really sorry for the late reply!

In fact, I left the setup as I had it. Relay one is my light. It follows it's schedule and doesn't need to be active for the cell to run, so the only connection is the RS cable. This means for very little outlay, you can have this automation that controls Pump, heater, swg and still have 2 relays.

Pretty cool overall, I would highly recommend the Intelliconnect to anyone who has a relatively simple pool.

Thanks for all the help!
Craig

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.