neovox

Mar 22, 2021
Detroit
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is there a good guide out there for closing an AGP for the winter? New owner here and on the fence about DIY vs. having someone do it for the first year.

The Above Ground discussion starts about 40 minutes in to the video after the initial discussion for all pools.

Reactions: neovox
Marty,

Sorry I missed the show today. We were reviewing a LOT of details and drawings on the house build. Here in S Florida I don't much need to close pools but I do want to learn about it in case I ever have to answer questions.

Chris

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
After reviewing these and some other material I have a couple additional questions.

What size air pillow should I use for an 18' round AGP?

A video I watched recommended water filled weights on top of the cover. Do I need these or can I just use the cable that came with my cover and or some clips?

Do cover clips work well or are they a waste?

Do I have to move the sand filter into a garage or can I leave it next to the pool drained and wrapped in a tarp? If I do leave it next to the pool, should I bring the spider valve on top in?

I have a small pump, so I just plan to bring it inside. Is there any prep there - lubracation etc. - or can I just bring it in after removing the water and let it dry out?

Thanks!

The Above Ground discussion starts about 40 minutes in to the video after the initial discussion for all pools.

Thanks for posting this webinar. I have followed the advice to close late and open early for the past several years with great results--I wait until my water temp stabilizes at/about 60F before closing. But this doesn't happen until almost the end of October, and I'm constantly digging large amounts of leaves (and pine needles) out of my pool. I have a mesh safety cover that is not a very fine mesh. Can I close somewhat earlier if I cover my mesh safety cover with some tarps (silver side up to reflect heat?) and put a hefty dose of algaecide in at closing? Has anyone done this successfully?

Thanks for posting this webinar. I have followed the advice to close late and open early for the past several years with great results--I wait until my water temp stabilizes at/about 60F before closing. But this doesn't happen until almost the end of October, and I'm constantly digging large amounts of leaves (and pine needles) out of my pool. I have a mesh safety cover that is not a very fine mesh. Can I close somewhat earlier if I cover my mesh safety cover with some tarps (silver side up to reflect heat?) and put a hefty dose of algaecide in at closing? Has anyone done this successfully?

I'm in the same boat. I went to close the pool up and then read not to do it before it reaches 60F. That's gonna be a while yet it's too cold to swim in. And we've had such dry weather the leaves are falling early so it's been a mess.

Can anyone tell us what the downside is to closing it before the water gets to 60F?

You are more likely to open the pool in the Spring with algae in it. Not a big deal but plan for the SLAM Process at opening.
Understood. But if I put a solid tarp over the mesh cover to keep sunlight out, and use a silver colored tarp to reflect heat, and add a bunch of algaecide at closing, can I "get away with" closing earlier? This seems to be the concept described in the video that Marty posted. Interested in knowing if anyone has done this with success.

Get away with what?

Close the pool when you need to. Deal with what you find when you open it in the Spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.