Will saltron mini or SWGs damage hot tub?

dan1333

Gold Supporter
Nov 1, 2020
Orange, CA
Hi, I was speaking with a sundance dealer and he said that an aftermarket SWG will void the warranty because it will essentially corrode and pit and damage all the parts. He said if I was really insistent on using one that I should wait until the warranty has expired. I read the Sundance warranty and do not see SWGs specifically mentioned anywhere, it just says essentially that water has to be maintained and sanitized.

Are his claims true? I see conflicting information online. Some say yes it's true and others keep says the salt is less than human tears etc etc and it doesn't damage anything.

What do you think?

Thanks.

I thought Sundance came out with a SWG tub?? Yup, just Googled it. :laughblue:

I love, love, love my Saltron Mini in my Sundance tub. Works a charm!

Remember, chlorine is chlorine once its in the water. It doesn't matter *how* it got there......

Maddie

Reactions: Mdragger88
Dan,

I use the Saltron mini and it works great..

It sounds like the typical "saltwater" is evil kind of myth.

If you use the mini, there is no modification to the tub or plumbing, so how would anyone ever know???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Considering chlorine is salt water and will raise the salt content in a spa or pool... I bet they wont tell you that.. :)

Standard disclaimer. If used improperly, any chemical system can damage your spa. I myself recommend avoiding tablet floaters at all cost. No type of chemical damage is covered, and yes they can and do deny warranty claims based on parts inspections. Chemical damage is usually pretty easy to spot when you see so many parts day in and day out.
The first salt cell I ever saw in a spa was in Tahoe at my chiropractors house (we worked out a deal once he learned I fixed spas). There was a white coating on his circuit board. I do not to this day understand it, but there it was. I asked him if it was in a flood it was in such bad shape. Everything in the equipment bay was corroding. I removed the inline salt cell and set him back to original equipment (ozone). He had no more troubles in the 2 years I lived there and used his services. As a result of this experience I spent many years advising against them in spas, and am still not a fan in spite of the positive experiences of the people here on TFP.

Thank you all for your replies.

Yeah I was leaning towards a saltron mini or smarterspa SWG but just concerned that it may cause some of the damage you saw RDspaguy. I completely get the argument that chlorine is chlorine and that makes logical and intuitive sense to me but I'm just concerned why some people are adamant that they've seen damage or corrosion from it. Perhaps their PH or other factor was out of whack and it was coincidental to them using a SWG?

Now I'm conflicted on whether to use one or not lol.

Most equipment damage, whether pool or hot tub, is typically caused by pool owner negligence or ignorance. TFP users don’t generally fall into either category....

I think your hot tub will be just fine ...

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have never worked on a spa with a factory built in salt system, but have heard in various threads that the Hot Springs one is problematic. I believe that one was an aftermarket, it may even have been a pool cell. I don't know what caused the issue but I have never seen anything like it before or since. I assume it had to do with the salt system, as that was the only thing different from every other spa I had seen, but I don't know that for sure.
Most people who comment on the forums I frequent speak well of them, except the new Hot Springs which burn through cells like wildfire for some. I suspect if you follow the advice of those who use them you'll be fine. They wouldn't recommend them if they had problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The biggest problem you will have is with your heater if it is not Titanium. If it is stainless steel, it will corrode and short out. I’m sure those spa makers who utilize swgs use titanium heaters. I replaced mine with titanium for this reason, and I love my Megachlor from Smarter Spa set on low settings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.