Wife just fired my pool guy - Want to make sure I am on right track cause plan on going it myself

I really appreciate all the help :)

I have been purposly using the same thread instead of starting a new one for each of my questions. Is that best or do you prefer that I start a new one each time I have a question?

I don't want to clog the forum with them, but don't want to break any etiquitte.

Jason so long as you are getting the answers you need in this thread lets stick with it. We have found it is easier to keep the whole "story" together. Now if the ones on this thread cannot answer a question or concern I/they can pull in others or have you start new thread. So far I think things are going good on this thread. THANKS for asking!!!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Jason245
Well.. that was easier to install than I thought (hardest part was unscrewing the old pressure gague cause the top part was broken.. so had to use a wrench)

My other problem (large amounts of fc loss) seems to be more concerning.. starting this past week, my fc dropped significantly.. maybe due to storms and high heat.. so had to start upping my swg %.. decided to bring my cya up another 10 to 15 ppm (up to the suggested 70 ppm range) and while that sorts its self out, been supplementing with 10% chlorine from home depot.

I gotta believe the chlorine must be burning off because my salt levels have started to be eaten off as well (per the system). So the disappearing chlorine is turning into disappearing salt at same time (burn off effects).

I think I may invest in getting the actual taylor salt test to see if my swg is giving accurate results or not..but I cant believe the sensor can be that off.. what do u all think?

Salt is not consumed by the SWCG.

Only way to change salt level is to remove water and replace with fresh water.

Marty! I had forgotten that! Maybe he needs to turn off his auto fill (if he has one) and do the bucket test instead to see if he is losing too much water! Bucket test accurate?

I don't have an auto fill, however recent rain storms have cause my water levels to fluctuate (e.g. lots of rain water added to pool, and then lots of evaporation due to the south florida sun).

South Florida in the summer is a challenge to say the least or so I have discovered and this is probably why the once a week visits by our pool guy just wasn't enough ...

On the bright side, my water is crystal clear, but my Daytime FC decline seems quite amazing (e.g. even with SWG running at around 80% today It dropped from about 4.5 when I tested FC this moning (last night test was around 5.0 so I don't think I have anything eating it up cause I passed Overnight FC test), to around 3.0 when I tested at about 4pm (yes my kids and I played in pool but I don't think that could have eaten up that much, especially given that SWG was running during day).

I added enough Liquid chlorine to raise my FC up 2 or 3 PPM and will see what tomorrow nights test gives me as I can't test again right now. I also increased the time my SWG is running, and will see if I meet a happy balance (at some point I may have to just let it run 24/7).

Interestingly, My PH seems to be holding at 7.8 for a while with no additions of anything, so at least I have stability on something LOL.

When the FC is consumed, it reverts to salt.

In thinking about it again... The rain added a net of several inches of water to my pool..... Several inches equals lots of gallons... lots of gallons equals dilution of salt and FC and the need for more salt and FC and a greater production from my SWG.

If it helps any in other thinking.. I also have zero combined chlorine.

I need more coffee and bigger brains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason.. Salt doesn't get eaten away unless its being diluted. .. For example if it rains and you have to dump water out of the pool. Then the salt level will decrease. Under regular evaporation the salt stays in solution, only the water evaporates... same with CYA, except it does slowly degrade over time.. but not all of a sudden

I think I have backed my way into the cause of my problem (but let me know if I am crazy)

According to this thread I found, I am generating between 4 and 5 PPM based on ~12 hours of run time at 100% (that is what I set it too 2 nights ago)

I am going to check on FC tonight, but when I tested last night, I had gone from ~5.5PPM the night before to ~4PPM at point of testing (which would mean I lost about ~5.5 - 6.5 PPM of FC day over day).

In the last week, the average temperatures my home has seen is ~90-91 with a couple of days hitting the 93 degree+ range.
In addition, per the UV indexes I just looked up it is getting to Extreme almost every days and lasting that way for hours.

I am hoping the additional CYA will help (I have a sock in the skimmer bringing the levels up to the suggested 70PPM).

I am thinking that my SWG just could not keep up running at ~10 hours at 55% which was only producing 2PPM per day per the calcs from above threads tool.

On a seperate note:
My Salt per SWG has remained stable at 3200 PPM. I got some aquacheck strips and they came out at 2940PPM, which is about ~200-300 PPM difference which from what I have read is in the acceptable range of differences.

"Backed your way into an answer" Funny how that kind of thing works out in the end. It will be interesting to see how it works out now that you are looking for it. Please keep us posted on your findings!

As of tonight my FC is now up to 5PPM from 4PPM, so It just lends to the evidence supporting my assertion that it was burning off faster than produced.

If it keeps rising and gets to ~6PPM, I will start looking into reducing the production % down from 100% in 5% increments until I reach stability at that level.

Reactions: kimkats
I think Kim means something like this:

images

Thanks, I will look into a Metal Test at some point after I get through this hurdle.

Would water Softner salt decrease my Calcium?

I am a little ignorant
I have a Water Softener at my house and it does reduce the level of calcium of my fill water.

Bryan Batts

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.