Why no equipment shed for the westerners?

I don't know the physics of why those results came out the way they did. So any guess about your question would be just that, a guess. One here at TFP questioned the results based on the setup of the test. Others here swear it makes no worthwhile difference. And certainly not for one or two turns, right? So I wouldn't worry about it.

I think the advantage to a sweep is cumulative, so if we were talking about a dozen or so bends, like there were in the solar system I built, pushing water up to a roof and through a thousand little tubes, then, yah, I'd want to use sweeps, which is what I did. And I used them whenever I had to rebuild a run on my pad, because I had the leftovers from the solar project. But I wouldn't take something apart just to replace it with a sweep. And I'm not going to worry about all the regulars left in my circuit, both the ones I can see and those that are buried. In your case, if reg's were sitting right in front of me, and I had to get sweeps from another country, for one or two bends, I'd...

Glue away!

We're only really talking about the energy difference between the two, and so a few pump RPMs lost and at such a small amount the money saved probably wouldn't pay off the shipping cost for decades!

Yes. good point. Head loss per fitting x 1000 fittings is something to bat an eye at. 1 or 2 fittings, not so much.

oh. lol. I see. Thanks.

Yes as highlighted by Arizonarob...

BTW - Here is an update to the pool plant equipment room...

Now have some gear in it with room to spare actually. A solar pump is still to be installed pretty much between the current pump and the rear wall.

qS1GEs.jpg

Ha, I really like the black and white and grey theme you got going on! Right down to the broom!! Please paint whatever is green. That's really bothering my eye for color!! :cyclopsani:

Please paint whatever is green. That's really bothering my eye for color!! :cyclopsani:

LOL - that is just the waterproofing latex based paint on the far RHS wall.

We left the tiles off that wall so the guys doing the pool install had an easier time drilling just through cement sheeting for all the pipe egress points out the back of my garage.

We will be tiling that wall when all the plumbing has been connected - Still a new build and waiting on the solar pump to be installed before we finish off the room with more tiling, painting and the fitment of doors to complete it.

From another angle....

CM8l70.jpg

LOL - that is just the waterproofing latex based paint on the far RHS wall.

We left the tiles off that wall so the guys doing the pool install had an easier time drilling just through cement sheeting for all the pipe egress points out the back of my garage.

We will be tiling that wall when all the plumbing has been connected - Still a new build and waiting on the solar pump to be installed before we finish off the room with more tiling, painting and the fitment of doors to complete it.

Aaaaahhhhh, even more green!!! I hope that new solar pump isn't going to be that nasty "Pentair Beige!"

What is that contraption just post-pump?

I can tell you put some thought into that equipment room. Cement board, tile walls, etc, all adds’ up to avoiding problems down the road.
Nice job!

Yes - Exactly.

I wanted the area to be reasonably waterproof to allow for deep cleaning of the sand filter, general leaks, spills and the ability to hose down the floor and/or equipment without issue.

What is that contraption just post-pump?

Hi Dirk - It is a cyclonic pre-filter made by Waterco here in Australia.

Works similar to those bag-less vacuum cleaners (Dyson) in that water is forced to swirl around at high speed which then throws dirt particles outwards which end up being captured in the lower clear chamber. I quick twist of the red tap allows some water to escape out via that small pipe bringing the dirt and sludge with it.

You only need to let out a bucket or two of water to clean it. Seems to work fairly well....!

I only started up my pool the other day and have already emptied it once and now it has captured more dirt from the construction phase of the pool.

All this dirt is prevented from entering the main sand filter which can only help with overall filtration - It is not overly expensive so I think it is a good addition to anyone's current filtration system.

4AXJN2.jpg

I action capturing dirt and crud.....

NRGK4I.jpg

One advantage of having one of these fitted is that you can effectively vacuum but without vacuuming to waste. Let the cyclonic filter capture all the dirt and crud - Then simply clean the filter with only a small amount of water loss as compared to vacuuming to waste...!

Check out the video below (click on link).

Waterco Multicyclone 16 centrifugal pre-filter Review - YouTube

MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal Filter - Waterco

Yes - Exactly.

I wanted the area to be reasonably waterproof to allow for deep cleaning of the sand filter, general leaks, spills and the ability to hose down the floor and/or equipment without issue.

Hi Dirk - It is a cyclonic pre-filter made by Waterco here in Australia.

Works similar to those bag-less vacuum cleaners (Dyson) in that water is forced to swirl around at high speed which then throws dirt particles outwards which end up being captured in the lower clear chamber. I quick twist of the red tap allows some water to escape out via that small pipe bringing the dirt and sludge with it.

You only need to let out a bucket or two of water to clean it. Seems to work fairly well....!

I only started up my pool the other day and have already emptied it once and now it has captured more dirt from the construction phase of the pool.

All this dirt is prevented from entering the main sand filter which can only help with overall filtration - It is not overly expensive so I think it is a good addition to anyone's current filtration system.

4AXJN2.jpg

I action capturing dirt and crud.....

NRGK4I.jpg

One advantage of having one of these fitted is that you can effectively vacuum but without vacuuming to waste. Let the cyclonic filter capture all the dirt and crud - Then simply clean the filter with only a small amount of water loss as compared to vacuuming to waste...!

Check out the video below (click on link).

Waterco Multicyclone 16 centrifugal pre-filter Review - YouTube

MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal Filter - Waterco

Oh now see, I like that ALOT!!! That would work really well here in AZ where we get a lot of dust flying through the air. Does that thing capture smaller debris that passes through the skimmer basket? Wondering if I would still need to use skimmer socks as well?

It is a cyclonic pre-filter made by Waterco here in Australia.

Neat. Coincidentally, I recently made a discovery for myself. I was bleeding my cartridge filter, and along with a bit of air and water flying out of the bleed valve, I noticed some grass clippings. And I realized there's all kinds of smallish organic material in there, that which got past two baskets and the pump's impeller, and ended up in my filter. I felt silly I hadn't realized that before, that the cartridges were not just collect dust and dirt, but also organic material that would be broken down eventually by chlorine. Dirty rotten chlorine-stealin' scoundrels! Since I started TFPCing, I've been careful to maintain FC by testing and dosing and removing all organic material from the water (cleaning surface and pool, skimmer basket, pump basket, etc). But I hadn't accounted for all the chlorine-eating stuff trapped in my filter. Your pre-filter would be a great solution for this, and cut down not only on filter cleaning, but chlorine consumption as well. Cool. Not to mention it's also black and grey! ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.