Why no equipment shed for the westerners?

I got tired of looking at the pool equipment out in the open so I built an enclosure. Our home is a ranch setting so wood seemed like the right choice. I framed it with pressure treated lumber and used cedar fencing for the sides. I used metal roofing over weather resistant plywood. The roof lifts so I can remove the top of the filter for maintenance. I ran a hose from the air relief valve to the outside of the shed and vented the heater out the side. I added a couple of long shelves behind the right door. If I ever need more room to access the equipment, I can remove the cedar fence panels or the roof. I have no construction experience so it was quite an accomplishment for me.

40791274704_582e718e85_z.jpg

I got tired of looking at the pool equipment out in the open so I built an enclosure. Our home is a ranch setting so wood seemed like the right choice. I framed it with pressure treated lumber and used cedar fencing for the sides. I used metal roofing over weather resistant plywood. The roof lifts so I can remove the top of the filter for maintenance. I ran a hose from the air relief valve to the outside of the shed and vented the heater out the side. I added a couple of long shelves behind the right door. If I ever need more room to access the equipment, I can remove the cedar fence panels or the roof. I have no construction experience so it was quite an accomplishment for me.

40791274704_582e718e85_z.jpg

That looks awesome for any guy never mind a guy with no construction experience.

- - - Updated - - -

My shed, should I choose to build it needs to meet local bylaw for fire resistance. I would stick frame. Pt lumber for sill plate only. Cement board interior paneling and galvanized steel roof and siding.
It's in an area where looks are not important but it will look good. Just not good like if it was a feature in the yard.

Thank you. It was a fun project for a retired guy and it looks waaayyy better than this...

I don't know... where's your PVC pride, baby!?! ;)

You actually have a very nice looking pad, not that you didn't do a fantastic job on the shed.

(I'ze only loves the look of PVC so's I don't haz to build a shed!!)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :cyclops:

If a shed will improve the looks of your yard, and make you happier because of that, you have to build it. I'm certainly not suggesting you don't. Bonus if it make your equipment last longer. You should see some of what I've done for my own aesthetic sensibilities!

Swim-dustrial... good one.

Google earth is pretty low res but you can see my pool in blue. Fence in black and equipment pad in red. I have 10’ on that side of the house and I have to stay 4’ from property line, so she’d can only be about 5.5’ x 10’. It’s in an area that you cannot see from the Deck or rest of back yard so I don’t care if equipment is showing. I just wanted to build a shed to protect it. Specially from the 5’ of snow we get.

Attachments

• E2EEE762-52EE-440E-80C1-E3E3A1DC2ECD.jpg
    E2EEE762-52EE-440E-80C1-E3E3A1DC2ECD.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 75
There have been a few statements made in regards to pool equipment is 'designed for outdoor use'.

In reality a lot of the electronics related equipment is not really designed for extreme high/cold temps - Specifically the internal electronic components which are usually just commercial grade items.

Here in Australia we generally don't need to worry about ice cold temps but more so the excessive hi temps at the other end of the kelvin scale.

I decided on housing my equipment in a small area of my shed.

This is primarily to keep it out of our relatively hot summer sun (emphasis on electronics reliability), keep the outdoor SPL levels down and also to keep the gear out of sight from the main pool area.

Still in construction phase - hopefully finished next week...!

Major consideration is to ensure that the area is waterproofed - similar to a bathroom to allow the user to hose the area down and obviously to allow for water spills etc.

Walls of the equipment room are sheeted with water resistant cement sheeting and then an additional couple of coats of a latex based waterproof layer are applied to the floor and walls up to where my tiles will finish.

Floor and walls will be tiled to complete the installation.

Interior of my shed - pool plant room over towards the rear RH corner:

Y7NriS.jpg

First layer of waterproofing applied:

6qxCWD.jpg

Looking good! You’re equipment is going to be very happy in there. I completely agree about the high temps not being kind to pool equipment. We had planned for a shed. Almost bought one in fact. Then we changed our minds as to where the pad would go, now we have no room at all for one. I plan on putting an awning up to give it a little shelter and shade. It is on our shadiest, most sheltered side of the house at least. There’s a 6 foot high fence beside it, with our neighbours two storey house next door towering over it.

Is it dig day tomorrow?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There have been a few statements made in regards to pool equipment is 'designed for outdoor use'.

In reality a lot of the electronics related equipment is not really designed for extreme high/cold temps - Specifically the internal electronic components which are usually just commercial grade items.

Here in Australia we generally don't need to worry about ice cold temps but more so the excessive hi temps at the other end of the kelvin scale.

I decided on housing my equipment in a small area of my shed.

This is primarily to keep it out of our relatively hot summer sun (emphasis on electronics reliability), keep the outdoor SPL levels down and also to keep the gear out of sight from the main pool area.

Still in construction phase - hopefully finished next week...!

Major consideration is to ensure that the area is waterproofed - similar to a bathroom to allow the user to hose the area down and obviously to allow for water spills etc.

Walls of the equipment room are sheeted with water resistant cement sheeting and then an additional couple of coats of a latex based waterproof layer are applied to the floor and walls up to where my tiles will finish.

Floor and walls will be tiled to complete the installation.

Interior of my shed - pool plant room over towards the rear RH corner:

Y7NriS.jpg

First layer of waterproofing applied:

6qxCWD.jpg

You have 2 pictures. first one looks like a big garage. In Canada we would call that a garage for sure. Way to big to be a shed. Secind pic with green paint looks like a shed. is this part of the same building?

My pump has a freeze mode that can't be overridden. I suspect it's primarily designed that way for the pump's electronics, more than for any consideration for the PVC's protection, that's just a marketing bonus.

I'll have to give some thought to protecting the pump from heat. I filter during the day. Most of the day during the hottest months. I'd expect the water cooling would be of some help. But shade is something to consider, for sure. Glad I tuned in here.

You have 2 pictures. first one looks like a big garage. In Canada we would call that a garage for sure. Way to big to be a shed. Secind pic with green paint looks like a shed. is this part of the same building?

Chris, see the bump out in the back right corner of his first pic? That’s his area for the equipment. The second pic is the flip side of that bump out. He’ll access his equipment from the outside.

just a thought here. my 3 way is 2". if I come out of it with 2" elbows then Bush down to 1.5"

The regular 90 degree 2" elbows I have would likely be as good as a 1.5" sweep elbow.

I'd rather use parts I have. not to save money but because availability on pvc is terrible here.

I don't know the physics of why those results came out the way they did. So any guess about your question would be just that, a guess. One here at TFP questioned the results based on the setup of the test. Others here swear it makes no worthwhile difference. And certainly not for one or two turns, right? So I wouldn't worry about it.

I think the advantage to a sweep is cumulative, so if we were talking about a dozen or so bends, like there were in the solar system I built, pushing water up to a roof and through a thousand little tubes, then, yah, I'd want to use sweeps, which is what I did. And I used them whenever I had to rebuild a run on my pad, because I had the leftovers from the solar project. But I wouldn't take something apart just to replace it with a sweep. And I'm not going to worry about all the regulars left in my circuit, both the ones I can see and those that are buried. In your case, if reg's were sitting right in front of me, and I had to get sweeps from another country, for one or two bends, I'd...

Glue away!

We're only really talking about the energy difference between the two, and so a few pump RPMs lost and at such a small amount the money saved probably wouldn't pay off the shipping cost for decades!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.