Why is the SAMPLE SIZER measuring tool only good for the Taylor tube?

Tubes are NOT the same diameter. The volume is correct but the SampleSizer from Taylor DOES NOT work with the TF-100 tube. The correct tube for the SamplerSizer to work is part #9198 from Taylor.

From what I understand the tool is only designed to work with a specific diameter sample tube that comes with the K2006 kit.
if you just fill the sample vial and use a slight wrist flick action to adjust it down to 10 or 25 ml it's really easy

The sample sizer is just a precisely machined, anodized aluminum "plunger" that is a precise, but slightly smaller fit than the internal diameter of a #9198 sample tube.

You fill the tube up with a random volume of water larger than what you need and then you insert the plunger. Because the shape of the plunger and internal shape of the tube are exactly known, the mating of the two creates an exact volume of excess water inside the tube. Pull the metal plunger out and what's left behind is an exact and reproducible volume of test water. I use mine every time.

25mL Volume -

d3328e891cb9dd4e34ec383ab129110f.jpg

10mL Volume-

927f15398a2d256a752a052f67b5a8b6.jpg

Great idea, pabeader ... so you fill the bottle directly from the pool and just squeeze the right amount into the vials, love it!

An empty 6 oz. R-0013 reagent bottle from your TF-100 test kit works as well. Just make sure you mark it accordingly so as to not confuse it with your good R-0013 bottle and pour the wrong one out by accident thinking it contained pool water. Voice of experience here.

I thought about getting that sample sizer, but I just can't justify the cost (almost $20!).

I use it every single time I make measurements and I never have to squint or guess at the sample volume - same sample size every single time. That alone is worth $20 in my book. The SpeedStir and SampleSizer are "must have" nerd tools IMHO.

(And I think I only paid like $15 a few years back on Amazon....inflation is a killer...)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bought the sample sizer this year after 4 four years without. I really like it.

I use a 20ml syringe. Accurate graduations right on the syringe. I think I paid about $6 for a pack of 10 on amazon

For full disclosure I am a happy user of both the Sample Sizer and Speed Stir.....

Now, with that behind me - if you use a "closed" container (condiment bottle, turkey baster or the like) make sure that when you are don you rinse it out, open it up and allow it to dry. There have been a couple of reports over the past couple of years of inaccurate testing that appears to have been caused by contamination in sample containers.

Not to overstate what the sample sizer is, but this thing is a real peace of work. A finely honed piece of solid aluminum. Feels like it was designed by a German engineer who was married to an Italian engineer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.