Taylor Test Tube

If you are referring to the 9198 Tube from Taylor - remember that Taylor has many other types of tests (other than pool water) and that 9198 tube is universal. They sell also with tops that are color coded blue, orange, purple, green, etc which applies to other types of tests using other types of reagents.

Reactions: Newdude
Got it. So.... I have been using that mark as follows and would like to know if this makes sense:
On a test for bromine, you fill the tube to the 10 ml mark and use 1.125 ppm, as the multiplier per drop. (5 drops x 1.125 ppm = 5.625 ppm bromine). So, if 11.5 ml is 1.15 times 10 ml, could I fill the tube to the 11.5 ml mark and count each drop as 1 ppm? (6 drops x 1 ppm = 6 ppm bromine). Easier math and close enough since anywhere from 4-8 ppm bromine is acceptable. Any flaw in this thinking?

On the Tayler 2000 series comparator (for DPD colour test without FAS) they even ignore the digits after the decimal point. The colour shade for FC 3 is FB 6 for example. Technically, it should be FB 6.75.

Reactions: JPMorgan
At 10 ml it took 6 drops to clear the water sample (6.75 ppm bromine). At 11.5 ml it took 7 drops to clear the water sample (7 ppm bromine). I think I'm okay to fill the tube to the 11.5 ml mark and use 1 ppm per drop to measure my bromine in the pool. :)

From this day forward, the procedure for measuring free bromine (with simplified math) shall be know as the "Morgan Method".
  • Fill the test tube so that the top of the water sample (not the meniscus) is just touching the 11.5 ml mark.
  • Add DPD powder and swirl to mix
  • Add R-0001 reagent to the sample and count drops until sample becomes clear
  • Multiply the number of drops by 1 to obtain ppm of free bromine
:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.