Why does TFP prefer the Taylor SpeedStir to a seemingly more versatile INTLLAB Magnetic Stirrer?

Davekro

Bronze Supporter
Feb 10, 2024
Discovery Bay, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine

I am curious what makes the Taylor SpeedStir 9265 $41.99 more popular on this site than say the less expensive, variable speed INTLLAB Magnetic Stirrer Stainless Steel Magnetic Mixer. Max Stirring Capacity: 3000ml $29.80 ?​

The same INTLLAB MS-500 Magnetic Stirrer with 7 piece variable size stir bars ($39.80), seems an even better choice!

Or other Magnetic Stirrers on Amazon?

What are the advantages of the Taylor SpeedStir over this $30 INTLLAB (or $40 w/ 7 stirrers) variable speed magnetic stirrer?
Taylor SpeedStir
-Battery powered: (If you test in the house near a 120v receptacle like I do, this is not much of a plus, maybe even a minus?)
- LED lights below mixing tube: (This seems like a nice feature. In a well lit room or outside on the deck, do the LED lights still help see and differentiate slight color variations from red to… no THAT’S now redder! ;o)

Some YouTubes on the $30 INTLLAB MS-500 stirrer:
The first video shows the INTLLAB works with metal containers and even large pots. This may have some uses in the kitchen for stirring, but not sure what exactly for.

INTLLAB Magnetic Stirrer Stainless Steel Magnetic Mixer with stir bar review

Magnetic stirrer test, review, and demonstration INTLLAB 3000 rpm, MS-500

We just got a latte milk stirrer, that I wondered if it would work in this application. No, because it is way too high an RPM -and- you have to hold it, which kind of defeats the purpose for this application.

Having just run across the INTLLAB with 7 stir bars and a stir bar retriever tool, this is the one I am leaning towards if the Taylor unit’s LED lights are not a make or break advantage over the advantages of the INTLLAB unit.

I appreciate any thoughts on why somebody looking to buy a stirrer might prefer the Taylor over the INTLLAB $30 or $40 options.

Dave

Compact size of the speed stir or smart stir.
Either will easily fit in the TF-Pro case and if creative, will also fit the TF-100 case.

Your option will work as well if you have a bit of extra storage space for it.
Additionally, it may be fun to use it to mix drinks at your next party.

I think most here don't know it exists. Mixing is the important point. Make the result consistent and repeatable.

The speed stir (taylor) and the Smart Stir (TFPtestkits.net) work with the vials that are available with the Taylor and TFP Test kit vials. Just make it easier to use and order everything from the same place.

No issue with using another device.

I have both. The INTLLAB is a good manual backup when your batteries run flat halfway through testing and the stores are closed. :)
The INTLLAB is better with larger beakers. Setting up the power every time can be painful. The light on the SpeedStir or SmartStir is a game changer. I feel sorry for all those lab techs with their expensive adjustable bench top mag stirrers.

If it’s to hard to decide just get both. One will live on the top shelf in the box it came in for most of its life. No. You cant have mine. I might need it one day. :)

Reactions: Davekro and Newdude
The lights on the Smart/Speed stir makes seeing the color changes so obvious.

For those of us that are hue-hobbled (color-challenged, tint-tested, pallete-puzzled, dye-dumb, pigment-pained), it makes life so much easier.

Plus it fits in my sexy-mad-scientist chemical testing bag...

Mad Scientist Reaction GIF by Watson Gloves

Same answer in one image:

View attachment 565094
@mgtfb ,
Is this a soft side test kit bag w/ foam insert that you bought separate from the chemicals? If it is a completed test kit that you purchased? Either way, can you supply a link? It looks cool.

I have a Taylor K-2106 kit. Do the Speed & Smart stir units fit inside the hard plastic Taylor K-2106 box? I assume it would go across wise in the back section. Do you need to cut out some plastic to make it fit (not a big deal).

Thanks to all for the feedback. I appreciate it.

For those of us that are hue-hobbled (color-challenged, tint-tested, pallete-puzzled, dye-dumb, pigment-pained), it makes life so much easier.

Plus it fits in my sexy-mad-scientist chemical testing bag...
So do others also feel that having the tube lit from below in fact makes it easier to see the nuanced color changes? Does it help on the TA test? I always wonder if that last drop actually made it redder or not! It seems on the FC test, it is pretty easy to tell w/o light that is in fact past the super nuanced light pink to clear- clear. Or do some feel the light helps with the FC test as well?

@mgtfb ,
Is this a soft side test kit bag w/ foam insert that you bought separate from the chemicals? If it is a completed test kit that you purchased? Either way, can you supply a link? It looks cool.

I have a Taylor K-2106 kit. Do the Speed & Smart stir units fit inside the hard plastic Taylor K-2106 box? I assume it would go across wise in the back section. Do you need to cut out some plastic to make it fit (not a big deal).

That's the TF-Pro as sold by Tftestkits. I don't actually have that because they don't ship to Australia. Quite jealous there. Comes with everything shown in the picture, including the Smart Stir.

Reactions: Davekro

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@mgtfb ,

The K2106 is the smaller case the same as the K2006. With a little rearranging and some minor alterations to the comparators it can fit but it’s tight. Next time you upgrade get the ”c” and it will all fit without cutting anything in half.

IMG_5357.jpeg

So do others also feel that having the tube lit from below in fact makes it easier to see the nuanced color changes? Does it help on the TA test? I always wonder if that last drop actually made it redder or not! It seems on the FC test, it is pretty easy to tell w/o light that is in fact past the super nuanced light pink to clear- clear. Or do some feel the light helps with the FC test as well?
I think it helps with all the tests really... But I wouldn't say it's essential.

I think I read that even if you could balance the 44ml tube of the Taylor 2000 series comparator over the recessed spot on these spinners, the magnet is too far away to spin, or at least properly, correct?
Still being new at this, I have an area I have my blue Taylor box, a few chemicals and spa paraphernalia. I think I'll just wait a while to see if I decide to keep all that there out in the open, or if I decide I want make away with this mode. If I stay like this, having the plug in INTLLAB with it's accessories would fit right in. If I decide to keep the kit packed away, I will consider getting the Taylor unit. We'll see.
I know you Taylor model dudes will think it crazy but, what if I placed one of my numerous small Harbor Freight LED flash lights behind an INTLLAB scale s[pointed at the base of the testing vial/beaker? I think I will try that with my (manually operated ;0) comparator.

I thought I read that the Taylor magnet Pill does not fit in the Taylor 2000 series comparator. Is that correct?
The Taylor spinner comes w/ one magnet and one vial. Is the vial size proprietary to Taylor, or can you get extra vials of varying capacities on Amazon? And more and different sized magnets on Amazon?

Do you mean the pH/CYA/Chlorine comparator? That would be a bit awkward on the speed stir. The normal Taylor test tubes fit fine.

Magnet pills are cheap on eBay or Amazon, doesn't hurt to have a couple of spares anyway.

If you're happy with the INTLLAB and the size and need to plug it in is no issue for you, then go for it. You don't want to see the number of gadgets that I have, just because I can. @AUSpool confirmed that it's a decent device, and I have full confidence in his advice.

I think I read that even if you could balance the 44ml tube of the Taylor 2000 series comparator over the recessed spot on these spinners, the magnet is too far away to spin, or at least properly, correct?

No, if you can balance it, it works just fine. Just tried it.

If I decide to keep the kit packed away, I will consider getting the Taylor unit. We'll see.
You should keep the kit packed away in a cool dark cupboard. Everything will last longer and work properly while it lasts.

I know you Taylor model dudes will think it crazy but, what if I placed one of my numerous small Harbor Freight LED flash lights behind an INTLLAB scale s[pointed at the base of the testing vial/beaker? I think I will try that with my (manually operated ;0) comparator.
It would be best to use a light that is not too bright and orientate it so the light is not pointing at you. At the side pointing away from you.

I thought I read that the Taylor magnet Pill does not fit in the Taylor 2000 series comparator. Is that correct?
The Taylor spinner comes w/ one magnet and one vial. Is the vial size proprietary to Taylor, or can you get extra vials of varying capacities on Amazon? And more and different sized magnets on Amazon?
No. The test vial side of the 2000 comparator has the same inside and outside diameter as the standard test vial (the one that comes with the speedstir). The magnetic pill works and fits in both. A 50ml beaker will sit on top of the SpeedStir and still work.

IMG_5899.jpeg

IMG_3887.jpeg

Last edited:

Just tried it, too. It does fit if you balance it, and it does stir.

But I also see silver nitrate all over the laundry bench, an upset DW, being banned from the laundry and having to do my testing in the naughty corner ;)

One of the (too few) things I excel at is color vision, and I still turn the Speed Stir light on every, single time I use it. Forgive the oblique pun, but the difference is night and day.

Thanks for the info all. It is good to know that the Taylor stirrer works with either the dual tube 2000 series comparator or a beaker on top of it and spins. Does it seem to spin just as well as when the supplied vial is used? What and where do you get extra vials? A link if it's easy, would be great. :) Is it easier in the process of doing a TA and FC test to have a separate vial (with their own magnet pills) for each?

You should keep the kit packed away in a cool dark cupboard. Everything will last longer and work properly while it lasts.

It would be best to use a light that is not too bright and orientate it so the light is not pointing at you. At the side pointing away from you.

No. The test vial side of the 2000 comparator has the same inside and outside diameter as the standard test vial (the one that comes with the speedstir). The magnetic pill works and fits in both. A 50ml beaker will sit on top of the SpeedStir and still work.

View attachment 565898

View attachment 565900
Thanks for the picture showing the underlit test vial. I just propped a small LED flashlight pointed to where I was manually spinning the Taylor comparator. The light does help. Next time I'll try it with the light on the side, or on my side pointing away. Good tip. Even if I don't decide right away on which spinner to go with, using a flashlight is a good addition to the process for now! Thanks

I actually don't use the smart stir light. I don't like how the swirling bean makes the light flicker. I have the smart stir with the test tube in front of a white background and shine light from a lamp onto the background. Works better for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support