Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2019
Sacramento,Ca.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Since I switched to TFP method in May my pool has been sparkling clear. I run the single speed pump twice a day for 2 hours each time, 4 hours total. Last week I reduced total run time to 3 hours. My pressure gauge has raised about 1/4 lb since May. I brush every 3 or 4 days,add 10% CL daily and other chemicals as needed, which isn't often. I use a sock thing on my skimmer basket to catch the surface stuff, mostly pollen and all that other weird floaty stuff that my darling wife despises.Prior to getting in the pool , which is almost daily for an afternoon float with Dark and Stormy in hand, she goes around with the pool tool and a fine mesh skim thing attached. The pool does not get much leaves or other stuff in it, I run the Polaris 280 2 hours a week. What could be easier?
To me it seems as the only need I have for a pump is to circulate water when adding elixers to the water.
I'm thinking of experimenting with a sump pump with a cartridge filter attached to the inlet side and a garden hose to the outlet, drop that thing into the deep end and run the hose to the shallow end.Maybe run it for a few hours daily. Yes, I'm retired with an active mind.

Realistically, your skimmers act as a pre-filter. If you use socks, even more so. Filters remove particulate matter from the water column. Whether to use a traditional filter depends how much stuff gets into your pool. Yes, you really do not need a traditional filter if you have other methods to remove the stuff. Robots, vacuums, etc all help. Most large, traditional filters filter out small particles that other methods would not. Not sure the micron size but I would guess below 1 micron. My robot will not filter that small.

Thanks for that reply.
I was tongue in cheek making my post. Mostly to point out about how THRILLED I am with my pool since I began using TFP method!! I'm a every morning add CL kinda guy, I have my morning coffee, do my testing, add whatever is needed and enjoy life.
The filter thing is just something to ponder, if there's nothing to filter, then why. I "get" that circulation is another matter all together.
Since I began TFP in May I've not done much, check PH,CL almost daily and now the other tests every 3 or 4 weeks. The TA,CH and CYA have remained quite stable.
So, Thanks to all the guidance from the pros here on this site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.