Why did shocking my pool lower my ph? I'm confused...

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I have SWG system. I had shocked the pool starting 2 days ago. I added liquid chlorine bleach 10% during the day and at night I added a 1 lb pack of Bioguard Burnout 73 for the last 2 nights...yes I know it isn't bleach but my CH level is around 350, so it wasn't going to hurt (normally I only use bleach) beings my faucet water isn't high in calcium.

Anyways, my ph was 7.6 before I began shocking the pool. I always understood that shocking/slamming a pool RAISED the ph (also my SWG was on, which should even more raise the ph right?). Well I checked the ph today and it I could tell right away it had a more orange tinge to it. It was 7.3 so now I'm wondering what or why did the ph DROP instead of rise?

Not sure if this is related, but I bumped the SWG up to boost level (100%) while shocking and I've notice a lot of white flaky pieces around the bottom edge of the pool. Not sure what this, but I assume it was calcium deposit from increasing the SWG production to 100%?

Your SWCG would not have that type effect on pH. Neither the Cal Hypo.

The flakes are from your SWCG. When it reverses polarity it sheds the calcium build up.

To reduce that, you should be keeping your CSI between -0.3 and 0. Use PoolMath to calculate CSI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.