Why did my filter fittings crack

Jul 28, 2015
Grand Rapids/MI
Hey all, i am trying to help my father inlaw figure out why his multiport diverter broke twice(broke, we replaced andthen new one broke), a fitting on the the return side of it cracked. And the sand filter drain plug cracked. I asume its due to high pressure but when we replaced broken parts and turned it on, the psi was hanging around 15. Just trying to wrap my head around this as we dont want to put on this 3rd multiport valve and have it break again.

Any thoughts welcome or any ideas on how to narrow down where a blockage could be if thats the issue

Braydon

Hey all, i am trying to help my father inlaw figure out why his multiport diverter broke twice(broke, we replaced andthen new one broke), a fitting on the the return side of it cracked. And the sand filter drain plug cracked. I asume its due to high pressure but when we replaced broken parts and turned it on, the psi was hanging around 15. Just trying to wrap my head around this as we dont want to put on this 3rd multiport valve and have it break again.

Any thoughts welcome or any ideas on how to narrow down where a blockage could be if thats the issue

Braydon
The fittings usually only break when they are tightened too much. Maybe an example picture of what actually broke might help.

We took apart the multiport valve to show where it broke

Attachments

• F457BFC2-ED00-47BD-8C81-1132C7DD00B5.jpeg
    F457BFC2-ED00-47BD-8C81-1132C7DD00B5.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 156BC8DB-D053-4064-AD96-BCE9AE74DE0C.jpeg
    156BC8DB-D053-4064-AD96-BCE9AE74DE0C.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 66BE6AF4-6EC8-48B6-BFA9-9AEADE2559BE.jpeg
    66BE6AF4-6EC8-48B6-BFA9-9AEADE2559BE.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 36
Also found this, its like a filter just before the salt cell. Its all warped like it heated up or something. Just another odd observation. Not sure if it relates to the filter cracking issues but def doesnt seem good

Attachments

• A413B857-73D1-4B94-98F9-08836DB09941.jpeg
    A413B857-73D1-4B94-98F9-08836DB09941.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 12
Also found this, its like a filter just before the salt cell. Its all warped like it heated up or something. Just another odd observation. Not sure if it relates to the filter cracking issues but def doesnt seem good
If the heater ever turned on while the pump was off and didn’t have a flow or pressure switch, that could cause some extra heat like that. Tough to say on the other parts doesn’t seem like water pressure could break the handle like that, but I don’t know for sure.

That filter drain plug picture is a classic "too tight" failure (ask me how I know)! Do not put any silicone/teflon lube on the threads, only on the rubber bottom seal (try not to get ANY on the threads) and tighten it just enough to prevent leaking. Same with the union. No idea what happened with the MPV key seal diverter breaking(?)

Reactions: 1poolman1
That filter drain plug picture is a classic "too tight" failure (ask me how I know)! Do not put any silicone/teflon lube on the threads, only on the rubber bottom seal (try not to get ANY on the threads) and tighten it just enough to prevent leaking. Same with the union. No idea what happened with the MPV key seal diverter breaking(?)
Yea, I wonder if the MPV valve was not unlocked before turning or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the input. What do you mean unlocked? I know his original MPV worked well for years, broke, replaced and then 2 weeks later new one broke the same way. I get that we can say over tightening is the most common culprit for those fittings and i understand. Its just hard to belive when all 3 parts broke at same time and it doesnt explain the mpv issue. Just soo odd.

Are you able to expand on how freezing can account for the new mpv breaking? Not saying i dont belive that could be it, i just want to understand hypothesis and the thought process on how it could occur.

Thanks for the input
Just a guess from 2000 miles away. The other damage looks similar to freeze damage I've seen locally (yes, it does freeze in Sacramento at times).
The drain plug damage could have been from being overtightened but ice will cause that, also. The crack at the union would have been on the collar if it were overtightened. Can't overtighten the MPV. Pressing down on the handle unlocks the valve from its position so it seems the damage happened internally. If the valve were frozen (diverter stuck in one position by ice) and someone tried to force it to move the stem could break like what is seen. The plastic would have been very brittle due to cold conditions. If it is new, you should try to get it replaced under a warranty.

Thanks for all the input. What do you mean unlocked? I know his original MPV worked well for years, broke, replaced and then 2 weeks later new one broke the same way. I get that we can say over tightening is the most common culprit for those fittings and i understand. Its just hard to belive when all 3 parts broke at same time and it doesnt explain the mpv issue. Just soo odd.
Before you try and move the MPV lever you need to push it downward, and then it can move freely. Other valves may have a different motion you need to do to move them, but mine requires you to push it downward. It’s a fairly obvious “notch” that the handle has to pop over but I thought I’d mention it in case your FIL didn’t realize it.

Is your swg on the line side? If the flow switch gets stuck closed and there is no flow, it will build up hydrogen gas in the lines which could cause the cracks and create a lot of heat in the cell which could cause the screen piece to warp.

That crack is where the gasket is inside. You over tightened it. Only hand tight. Cheap lesson learned.
JamesW is correct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.