Whisperflo pump replacement

Jim,

I guess it’s being run from the panel mounted to the pump. I just set the easy touch to leave the pump circuit on constantly. Is this not the correct way to do it?

Attachments

• C2289279-5FA3-445C-94A8-B4C420CC813E.jpeg
    C2289279-5FA3-445C-94A8-B4C420CC813E.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 13
The pump should get constant AC power. It should not be wired to the load side of the pump/filter relay (The one in the upper left.)

The RS-485 cable only has two wires and they get connected the J20 com port. Green to green and Yellow to yellow.

If wired correctly, the pump's display will say "Display not active" when in AUTO.

I guess it’s being run from the panel mounted to the pump. I just set the easy touch to leave the pump circuit on constantly. Is this not the correct way to do it?

Since you have the Whisperflo the "Ext. Control Only" light should show (instead of the "Display not active" display on the Intelliflo).

You should wire the pump directly to the breaker instead of the relay. And double check that the RS-485 cable is correctly installed.

CD,

You really want the EasyTouch to be in control of your pump, but I have never seen a WhisperFlo VS, so let me do a little research and see if I can get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since you don't have a signature with all your equipment we can't speculate on the possible benefits for you. But having pump control integrated with the automation controller, i.e. EasyTouch, gives you various advantages. Most want to get the biggest cost savings with having a VS pump, meaning they dial down the speed for normal operation and bump it up when required, i.e. for a gas or solar heater where speed needs to be increased. Other considerations are if a SWG is used and for safety reasons want to ensure that pump is running when generating. Another is to ensure that the main pump is operating when a booster pump for cleaning is scheduled, otherwise damage would occur. Others may have an integrated spa and need to co-ordinate pump speed with operation. Others like the ability to monitor the pump status remotely. I'm sure I've forgotten other scenarios, but you get the idea. I guess at a basic level you could say why spend all the $$$ on automation if you're not taking advantage of integrating control of all the associated equipment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I need to list all of my equipment in my signature I now realize. Thanks.

With the old pump the easy touch ran the schedule, but with this new pump there is a separate control panel mounted on the pump itself. It came set up with a factory default schedule starting at 8am, running 2 hours at 3000 rpm, 10 hours at 1400 rpm, then 2 hours at 2200 rpm. So that’s why I just initially planned to leave the power on to that pump basically 24/7 from the easy touch.

The ET still runs the schedule for my booster pump for my Polarius cleaner and for some various fountains and things, so I am using it. But the schedule on the new pump seemed easier than programming a new schedule from the ET. Unless I’m going to blow it up somehow doing it this way.

I appear to be too dumb to know how to make a signature. I filled out some info in the “about you” section on my account. Is that the same? I’m on a smartphone, not a computer.

I appear to be too dumb to know how to make a signature. I filled out some info in the “about you” section on my account. Is that the same? I’m on a smartphone, not a computer.

See if the following helps. On a phone I think you might need to rotate screen for signature to show.

Reactions: cardude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The ET still runs the schedule for my booster pump for my Polarius cleaner and for some various fountains and things, so I am using it. But the schedule on the new pump seemed easier than programming a new schedule from the ET. Unless I’m going to blow it up somehow doing it this way.
Obviously your pool, so whatever works for you best. However you would lose the protection that if the main pump stops running for whatever reason (like it trips it's breaker or is stopped manually) then the booster pump would still run on schedule and cause damage to it. I think if controlled by the EasyTouch it will detect that pump isn't running and not allow the booster pump to run.

However we do have an ulterior motive getting it to work with the EasyTouch being that you are the first person on this forum (I think) that uses the new Whisperflo VST w/ RS-485 cable and we'd like to know if works properly :mrgreen: If you have the time and are willing to give it a shot we can help as I'm sure there will be others that will learn from your experience. You can always switch between external and local control easily from the pump if you change your mind.

Oh, that’s a good point with the booster pump.

I don’t mind trying to set it up on the ET, but I’m inherently lazy, plus not very familiar with it, so that’s why I went the easy route. Plus there are so many mosquitoes in my yard by the pump they are destroying me.

But I will try!

Thanks for taking one for the team! Based on the pump manual, instructions are under section External Control via RS-485 (page 5). Then you would
hold the start/stop button for 10 secs to switch to external control mode (page 7). Finally you would need to configure the VS pump and the pump schedule on the EasyTouch panel.

I dont see how to set the time for the different RPM settings like it’s set up currently with the schedule on the pump controller. Now it’s set at an 8am start, prime for 5 minutes then 2 hours at 3000, 10 hours at 1400, then 2 hours at 2200.

Hopefully the post below will help

Do you have the EasyTouch 4 or 8? Hopefully you don't have the lite version as that only supports 4 schedules.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.