Hollybeeusc

May 13, 2021
Charleston SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We installed a pool about 1.5 years ago. We have a VS pump with a UV/Ozone system that uses chlorine pucks. The company is maintaining our pool. We have had nothing but trouble. We have severe burning of the eyes, dry skin, green hair after 1 swim, and now algae. They have tried everything it seems but cannot get us comfortable. They are shocking the pool weekly with non chlorine shock. At this point the owner has offer AOP or Salt water generators to replace our current system. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions in which route to go for less issues.

Holly,

I have three saltwater pools.. They are the best and easiest type of pool to take care of.. UV/Ozone is just all magic, but without the rabbit... :mrgreen:

You need to have a pool that you can test and understand what chemicals are needed, what they do, and what you need to add, or not add.

If you do it yourself, you don't need to rely on someone else to make your life comfortable.

When you get out of a standard chlorine pool, you feel like you need to take a shower.. When you get out of a saltwater pool, you feel like you just took a shower.

Just to be clear.. a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool, it just makes its own chlorine using the salt in the water...

The main point of this website it to teach people how to maintain their own pools.. No one can look after your pool like you can.

You should check out our pool school..

We'd be glad to get you pointed in the right direction.. Just let us know...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: csconner
Welcome to TFP!

I grew up in So. Cal. with a traditional gunite/chlorine pool. Always a struggle to maintain. always red burning eyes, lots of liquid chlorine, pucks, scrubbing, more chlorine , more scrubbing and more red burning eyes.

We put in our salt water pool with a variable speed pump and SWG last spring. It’s easier than I dreamed to maintain. This is the place to get the guidance you need to enjoy your pool, caring for it yourself for less$ and only a small amount of your time.

start with these learning pages:

you need a test kit

SWG Learning

pool care basics

it might look overwhelming at first, it’s not, lots of folks here to help. You will never worry that’s it’s not safe for you, your family or your friends to swim and will be so pleased with yourself you’ll not believe how simple it really is. And no red burning eye, dry skin or hauling chlorine or pucks or other unnecessary chemicals. It’s science, it’s easy and with a little patience in The beginning You’ll have a wonderful easy to care for pool.

one last item, it will help you and the forum if you can create your signature as explained below… see Jim’s signature and mine for examples. This will reduce the questions and help everyone provide guidance and answers with fewer “what do you have“ questions.

Reactions: Oly and magiteck
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.