Which equipment is best for our pool?

swtalker

Oct 26, 2020
Duluth, GA
In the next week or two we are putting our deposit on a Leisure Pool-saltwater, model Supreme, 35'. We live in a an Atlanta suburb, 30096. We would like to find out the following:
1) What size pump should we get? We know we want a variable pump for sure, but what size?
2) Hayward or Pentair?
3) Specifically solar heater users, which one did you purchase and recommend?
4) What extras (e.g. jets, automations, etc) do you think are a must and we should purchase, and which brand?

Thank you,

Hannah and Michael

Last edited:
H&M,

In my mind it no longer makes any sense to build a pool with a single speed pump. I suggest you get either a 2-speed pump or a variable speed pump.. I personally like having a large VS pump, that I can run at the right speed for each pool configuration.. You can't go too large with a VS pump as it is really a variable horsepower pump, that you just adjust to the HP you need.

I personally am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, but that is more of a "Ford vs. Chevy" type of thing.

Not sure what "extras" you are considering??? How do you plan to chlorinate your pool? I have three saltwater pools.. I would not have a pool if it could not be a saltwater pool.

What type of filter are you getting? I would recommend a large cartridge filter, but a lot of people here love their sand filters and DE filters.

No matter what you get, the key to having a smooth running pool is to be able to easily keep your water in balance.. To do that, I would recommend a quality water test kit, like the TF-100.

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Love
Reactions: swtalker
H&M,

In my mind it no longer makes any sense to build a pool with a single speed pump. I suggest you get either a 2-speed pump or a variable speed pump.. I personally like having a large VS pump, that I can run at the right speed for each pool configuration.. You can't go too large with a VS pump as it is really a variable horsepower pump, that you just adjust to the HP you need.

I personally am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, but that is more of a "Ford vs. Chevy" type of thing.

Not sure what "extras" you are considering??? How do you plan to chlorinate your pool? I have three saltwater pools.. I would not have a pool if it could not be a saltwater pool.

What type of filter are you getting? I would recommend a large cartridge filter, but a lot of people here love their sand filters and DE filters.

No matter what you get, the key to having a smooth running pool is to be able to easily keep your water in balance.. To do that, I would recommend a quality water test kit, like the TF-100.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim! :)

In addition to the good advice above, consider adding automation if you're getting solar. It's common to have to increase pump speed when solar engages, and properly programmed automation will, heh, automate that for you. This means the automation panel and the pump have to communicate, so they should be the same brand. I only have experience with Pentair equipment (see my sig) and it does that job just fine.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.