Cableann

In The Industry
May 14, 2023
NC
Hello All,

I have an 18’ x 52“ Intex ABG pool with their 1,600 gal/hr pump/sand filter system attached. We recently added a Hayward ABG skimmer to the pool and also installed the return that came with the skimmer. We’re amazed at how much more flow that created through that pump! The issue I’m finding is that the return is now flowing so strongly that surface items are going too fast to get into the skimmer. I’ve tried ALL the angles, up and toward the skimmer, up and away from the skimmer, down and toward, down and away, straight down the middle. I’m at a loss of finding the right way to point the return to get the best flow. For details sake the return is 4‘ to the right of the skimmer as you’re looking at it from in the pool.

I’d gladly take any suggestions/advice. I know it’s a pipe dream to assume all surface items will get in the skimmer, but there are large items that float right on by even 4“ in front of the weir.

Many thanks!
Chris

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I think I can visualize the problem. Since the return is so close to the new skimmer, it's just going to blow everything right past it. You may have to go the other way and let stuff "try" to go around the long route. But feel free to post some pics if you like.

Also see our ---------> Pool Care Basics

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I think I can visualize the problem. Since the return is so close to the new skimmer, it's just going to blow everything right past it. You may have to go the other way and let stuff "try" to go around the long route. But feel free to post some pics if you like.

Also see our ---------> Pool Care Basics
Thanks. Here are some pics. So far when it’s going away it’s still going a bit too fast, sigh. You can kind of see where the return is in the pics attached. We had the shoddy intex skimmer prior to this and the return flow rate wasn’t nearly as strong, my guess is the water to the pump was more restricted previously and now it’s not. Long term I’ll be putting a 1.5hp vsf pump on it, which will change everything, but that won’t be until next year, unless I get froggy before then.

Attachments

• IMG_5116.jpeg
    IMG_5116.jpeg
    656.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5119.jpeg
    IMG_5119.jpeg
    723.4 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Texas Splash
Unfortunately yes.
Tough to manipulate about 3,750 rpm worth of water. Have you considered (if possible) trying to split that return? Instead of the single return eyeball, screw in a PVC adapter that would allow you to create a T-fitting to let water go into two different routes?

Reactions: Cableann
Tough to manipulate about 3,750 rpm worth of water. Have you considered (if possible) trying to split that return? Instead of the single return eyeball, screw in a PVC adapter that would allow you to create a T-fitting to let water go into two different routes?
That’s an idea. I will be putting in another return when I upgrade to the variable speed pump, however it might be worth doing that part now (pretty darn easy) instead of waiting til next year. I think you’re right that splitting the flow makes the most sense.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Do you have the "door" on the skimmer? If not then find one and put it on. That tends to help the skimmer do it's job better.

I used ping pong balls to show my the best angle for my return. The cats loved trying to play with them as they floated by as well LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.