When to open pool - NoVA

Opened mine on Monday, sparkling clear water. I always open when water gets to 58-60 degrees
This is the correct answer. You always want to open with the water as cold as possible, before algae reproduction gets easy. Once you are past the last hard freeze open and take care of it. Yo may not be able to swim, but generally you won;t have to SLAM.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
This thread has me really wondering if I open too early. I'm in Canada and have been opening late April, the temperature is usually 50-60 during the day and 30ish over night. Is there risk of the water freezing then since it's so cold over night? Some other around me open so I am guessing it's okay but has me nervous now!

When are you folks opening your pools in the Washington DC area?
Mine has been open for 2 weeks or so due to the unseasonably warm temperatures. I am so glad I did!! No green swamp, no SLAM, easy peasey. I did close at the beginning of November though so that could have contributed as well. Open her up this weekend!! ?

This thread has me really wondering if I open too early. I'm in Canada and have been opening late April, the temperature is usually 50-60 during the day and 30ish over night. Is there risk of the water freezing then since it's so cold over night? Some other around me open so I am guessing it's okay but has me nervous now!
Nothing wrong with opening early! On the nights we get the occasional 32 degree temperatures, I just run the pump nonstop and it never freezes. Some pumps will even turn on automatically if it has freeze protection (mine does not). I would be more worried about opening later and having to SLAM and deal with the dreaded green mess. My water was 55 degrees when I “officially” opened it but I did not use a winter cover and kept up with scooping leaves and stuff out all fall and winter lol. Hope this helps! ?

Last edited:
Reactions: tim5055
Nothing wrong with opening early! On the nights we get the occasional 32 degree temperatures, I just run the pump nonstop. I would be more worried about opening later and having to SLAM and deal with the dreaded green mess. My water was 55 degrees when I “officially” opened it but I did not use a winter cover and kept up with scooping leaves and stuff out all fall and winter lol. Hope this helps! ?

Yeah that makes sense. What if overnight it goes to 20 occasionally? The weather has been so up and down here! I pushed my opening to next week but I have a feeling the water will still be in the 40s then so I assume I'll be ok?

Reactions: thefloatqueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah that makes sense. What if overnight it goes to 20 occasionally? The weather has been so up and down here! I pushed my opening to next week but I have a feeling the water will still be in the 40s then so I assume I'll be ok?
You’ll be fine but run the pump 24 hours during the freezing days to keep the water from freezing.

Reactions: eldender
I'm not sure what I did wrong, but my pool has started turning green over the last few weeks, so I think I'm going to open and SLAM it now before it gets to much worse. Since we're salt water, I'm worried that its still a little cold for the SWG, but I'm not sure I like the alternative of leaving it to get greener

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.