When is it OK to open a pool in Long Island

I think all you Long Islanders need your own forum... Everyone I've met from there is a little.. how should we say.. different
First off, it’s LonGuyland.
secondly, don’t you have like 17 propositions to go vote for today ?

We just put it on the calendar to open the weekend of April 3. I was really pushing for end of March, but I'll settle. HA! I can't wait!
Opened mine today. Snowed two days ago here in Kansas but we “should” be done with really cold temps.
We had a lot of rain a month ago then a week of 70 degree weather. This is what I opened up to today. Sigh. Looks like I’m prepping to run through about 30 gallons of 10% bleach 955CB9DF-4206-46A3-8529-8265628D37A7.jpeg064F297C-BCB1-44A1-A057-E4C80F584009.jpeg

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
I’m in nepa so not a very different climate than nyc area. I look for a straight week of above freezing at night. If it’s 30 or above at nights I open. So I opened this weekend. All week is suppose to be fine. I run my pump 24/7 at a low speed so if a night or 2 drop down in the 20’s I don’t sweat it. Last night I was afraid it was going to dip down so I increased my pump speed more. I have been doing this 4 years now and I always open to a clear pool. My builder was over yesterday after myself and his guys got it up and going and he always laughs how it looks like it was open all winter. Open early close late. Recipe for success I feel.

My pool in Northern NJ is scheduled to be open April 16th.

All the snow is melted on the cover and around the pool. Pool can be opened today but in 3 weeks will be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They all rip/pop so you either trade off a cheaper cover replaced more frequently or a more expensive (heavier PITA) cover that lasts longer. In the end it’s a wash but up to you.

If you are getting a reel (sorry I forget if yes/no), the reel will make the thinner cover last longer by not constantly dragging it, and the much lighter cover will help extend the life of the reel bearing less weight.

Reactions: Heavenlytunes
I'm on Long Island and we opened the pool about 3 weeks ago on that warm weekend of sun. The pool opened clear, though I did have to fix a leak at the bottom of my skimmer since the pool was losing about 2 inches of water per day. All good now. Nice to be able to look out at water again. We probably won't be swimming until May, but the dog has already been in. Water temp is about 55 now.

I'm on Long Island and we opened the pool about 3 weeks ago on that warm weekend of sun. The pool opened clear, though I did have to fix a leak at the bottom of my skimmer since the pool was losing about 2 inches of water per day. All good now. Nice to be able to look out at water again. We probably won't be swimming until May, but the dog has already been in. Water temp is about 55 now.
Vinyl pool? No issues with dogs going swimming? I got a chocolate lab that can't wait to go in.

We had an above ground Doughboy pool with a 25 mil liner for 18 years and 2 labs swimming all the time. So I figured will be alright with this new inground pool and a 27 mil liner.

Vinyl pool? No issues with dogs going swimming? I got a chocolate lab that can't wait to go in.
We have a homestyle dog boarding business in our pool - so lots of dogs in our pool that are pool 'virgins'. We opted for fiberglass steps instead of vinyl lined (even though I love that look). I was worried about the entry point for dogs not well trained with vinyl over steps. The fiberglass works great, and I love the grey color!

I was worried about the entry point for dogs not well trained with vinyl over steps
I’m well trained and I STILL go ripping in like a 6 year old. I couldn’t fault the dogs for having the same excitement :ROFLMAO:

(But it’s really the getting out part. It’s akward and slippery for anyone. For an animal the instinct is to dig in with claws for better traction).

• Haha
Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.