What's your current pool temp?

82 degrees this morning with the cover on. It was a cool night so it works. Time to start trimming it. Is there a timeline for letting it rest or stretch out before cutting, or just start?
I just grabbed the scissors and went for it with my blue bubble wrap cover.

It's a good thing I have 3 taps by the pool! Other wise, this stay at home BS would be tough!

Gotta brew some more next week... no telling when they'll close the liquor stores!

Oh - and my pool is still 88, and the beer is 33! :)

View attachment 129893
I homebrew too.. Way behind, only have a Stout on tap. But the water is only 71F and only 82F highs. I am about to pretend that I am in the Midwest and jump in soon...

Reactions: Pv2 and PoolBrews

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had a cold front move through so I put the cover back on, managed to get the pool up to 93 but didn't go in, maybe tomorrow.
Are you heating to get up to those temps? We heated the pool in mid March, and have just been keeping the cover on when we aren't swimming.. it's hanging between 85 and 88, depending on how warm and sunny the day is.

Reactions: YonnyPiscinas
I homebrew too.. Way behind, only have a Stout on tap. But the water is only 71F and only 82F highs. I am about to pretend that I am in the Midwest and jump in soon...
Awesome! What kind of stout is it? Give me a good description of the taste :)

It's basically Yoopers Oatmeal Stout updated slightly with more modern ingredients and using Nottingham for the yeast. Okay but not the best I have ever made. I tend to make my stouts more "chocolaty" that that recipe but I did want to try it once. I have not messed with liquid yeasts since I moved to Arizona, I am not even sure that I know where my stir plate is. I do need to brew again soon though. This one batch a year stuff is cramping my style a lot..

So finally at cold, but non polar bear swimming Temps. 72F and 83F air. You Florida people have it made.. Until about June. I will take dry heat then anytime instead... But thankfully we can use the pool again without everyone whining about it.. IMG_20200405_160250260.jpg

So finally at cold, but non polar bear swimming Temps. 72F and 83F air
Yeah, see in the early spring, you get a little chilly in the water and hop out to 80+ air that warms you right up. In the fall you get out of the same water to 65 or less air and it’s not nearly as nice. We got the heater thinking it would be awesome but when everybody was walking around in sweatshirts, nobody ever felt like swimming.

60 degrees. I live in Central Ohio and do not have a heater so no swimming for me yet lol. Thinking about buying a solar cover. Do they help much with temperature or is it more to slow down evaporation?

They help a bunch with the temperature by slowing down the evaporation. The most effective way to use one is to take it off in the morning and put it on in the evening. However, I have found that leaving it on all day does not slow down the heating of the pool very much.

Putting it on at night prevents about a 3-5 degree loss overnight in my pool.

They work great to their ability but many people expect them go perform miracles. They can retain 5 or more degrees, but it stays contstant at that instead of adding more each day like a heater. If your average weekly temperature between the highs and lows is 60, the pool might be 65 degrees. The cover works, but you still won’t want to swim for a few weeks, maybe longer if we get the cold snap that’s coming again. The same goes in the mid-late fall.

now during the summer, if we get a colder day or two, the cover can help the water stay warm like it didn’t happen. *Or* those 5 degrees takes a 80 degree pool and makes it a toasty 85.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.