What's your current pool temp?

My water temp was 71 on Saturday. I am waiting (and waiting and waiting) for it to drop to 60, so i can close it down and put the cover on. I'm really tired of sucking out acorns every day! I noticed that all my friends with AGPs have already closed theirs. I figured that it is because of the insulating properties of the dirt that my in-ground is still warm.

Pointyhead said:
My water temp was 71 on Saturday. I am waiting (and waiting and waiting) for it to drop to 60, so i can close it down and put the cover on. I'm really tired of sucking out acorns every day! I noticed that all my friends with AGPs have already closed theirs. I figured that it is because of the insulating properties of the dirt that my in-ground is still warm.

LOL - I think you are being generous. I suspect quite a number of those who closed have ZERO idea what waiting for cooler water would help. I also suspect that they dumped in a quart or two of copper algaecide as part of their "winterizing kit".

My pool was at 86 today. But to keep it there I now have to keep it covered at night and run the solar heat from 11 to 4 every day. I usually try for Thanksgiving as last swim date for the year.

My new solar setup is only getting the pool up to the mid 70s right now. I am losing about the same amount of heat at night as added during the day. Based on these last 2 posts, I may have to seriously consider a cover next year :)

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
My new solar setup is only getting the pool up to the mid 70s right now. I am losing about the same amount of heat at night as added during the day. Based on these last 2 posts, I may have to seriously consider a cover next year :)

I have solar heaters and a solar cover. My pool is still a very comfortable 88 degrees. I lose 2 degrees at night and I can gain 2 to 4 degrees during the day.
I made my own solar heaters but I didn't make enough of them so I'm going to add a few more heaters this winter sometime so I should be able to keep the pool at a reasonably warm temperature all year or at least for 10 months.
If you plan on getting a solar cover, just plan on getting a solar cover reel. The solar covers are a pain to take off and put back on. The reel is the only way to go.

With my pool, a reel may be problematic ... no where to put it. Thus the reluctance. I would likely have to cut it in pieces and maybe use the PVC pipes to roll each piece.

A few weeks ago I was losing about 4 degrees at night and gaining about 5 degrees in the day. Although at this point it is no longer rising as much. I have not tracked it closely recently.

jblizzle said:
With my pool, a reel may be problematic ... no where to put it. Thus the reluctance. I would likely have to cut it in pieces and maybe use the PVC pipes to roll each piece.

A few weeks ago I was losing about 4 degrees at night and gaining about 5 degrees in the day. Although at this point it is no longer rising as much. I have not tracked it closely recently.

You can put the reel in the middle if you need to and roll up two sides at one time. I almost did that but it does make it a little harder to unroll.
Just sayin'

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
62 this past weekend with opaque cover on for a week. Temps have dropped a bit and we're hovering around freezing at night but well above in the day. Hoping to be below 60 this weekend.

4knights said:
Our water temp is 40 and the night time air temp got down to 21 . Pool closed, hot tub wide open with a temp of 104. Steam rolling off the water when you lift the lid.
:cheers: Just heading out to my tub now, though I will have to clear the foot of snow on the cover :hammer: 104 is too hot for me, I usually run around 102.

linen said:
4knights said:
Our water temp is 40 and the night time air temp got down to 21 . Pool closed, hot tub wide open with a temp of 104. Steam rolling off the water when you lift the lid.
:cheers: Just heading out to my tub now, though I will have to clear the foot of snow on the cover :hammer: 104 is too hot for me, I usually run around 102.
Sure wish we had snow here!!! It was 10 degrees last night with wind chill below zero! Somehow snow on the ground always makes the cold temps feel warmer. I hate not having snow when it's this cold.

Prof100 said:
Kyle11, I'm just 35 miles from you down hwy 278 at Rainbow crossing. My pool is 49* also.

Howdy neighbor. Your just a rock throw away. I'm taking it you didn't close your pool this winter since you know your water temp? I always wonder what people in the area of north Alabama does. 2 on my street have pools. One closes and one doesn't. I just let my aqua plus use freeze protection when the air temp gets below 34.

Always worried me though if we have those ice/snow storms we seems to have every few years and we lose power for a few days. Looks like that's not likely this year unless we get another 92 blizzard.

Can't wait for the spring, only got 2 good swims last year before the water was to cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week-pool temp 59F, Air temp 38F
Doesn't slow our knuckle head down!
DSC_1372_zps341d6fe3.jpg

DSC_1449_zpsb4b55bd8.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.