What's the most popular Dolphin model?

I demo the S300i, it works great, and the app is cool, but you have to be close for the Bluetooth to work, basically inside the house the app worked off and on. The unit costs $1300.00
I went to Marina Pool and spa in Colorado, amazingly helpful, let me ask several questions.
The lady suggested Active20 or s200, both have the same features as far as cleaning ability as the s300i, didn’t have the caddy or the app availability and I got it for $699.00 out the door and no shipping

A consideration you should keep in mind when choosing a robot cleaner is your main drains. Our Dolphin DX4 would constantly get stuck on our main drains and spin in circles on top of the drain for several minutes before breaking loose. Because of this issue, and the fact it no longer turned properly and would intermittently fail, I replaced it this year with a Dolphin M400. I chose the M400 because it has a brush on the bottom center that makes it nearly impossible to get stuck on the drains....and, a month into it, it has not been stuck once.

So see if you can get an idea of the shape of your main drains. If they are raised (as all of the anti vortex drain covers are) and have a flat surface on top, then there's a good chance some robots will "bottom out" on this flat surface and get "stuck". If your main drain cover is somewhat "domed" shaped, then it's less likely to cause an issue for the robot.

Some features (most important?) that some people find useful:

The M400 and M500 have two drive motors which allows the unit to turn on the spot performing a tighter turn whereas most of the other models do not and in some scenarios they can get hung up on certain areas.

As mentioned earlier, the centre brush feature on both these two models is probably the only other thing worth mentioning.

these use the same software and cords?

Not sure about the on-board software but the user app has different features available on various models - eg: On the M500 there are some app runtime cleaning features not available on the M400 - check the comparison list posted earlier.

how about build quality between the M and S series?

Quality about the same - but do note that the M series do have more parts (more parts to break down...? :mrgreen:).

As far as the umbilical cords are concerned - some have swivels and some do not (check specs/details on each model). Swivels can make life easier as they do help to prevent entanglement etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The drive motors on the M's are its means of propulsion. The float handle stabilizes the unit as it climbs. The S series's motor diverts water through ports on its top and sides to push it against the wall during climbs and sideways for waterline scrubbing. The S-series also has the best - and easiest to clean - basket. It pops right out, can be emptied in seconds and rinsed clean with a hose. The M-series float handle placement doesn't allow for a basket so it uses two cartridges. They aren't inferior, but it's another step of cleaning. I suffered through the old-style Maytronics canvas bag cleaning for a couple of seasons before I got my S300 and it was such a chore that it nearly soured me on robots. When I saw and used the S300 it really sold me.

you can have issue with S200. But M400 is solid. No issue. But Only one cleaning cycle.
Main drain should be your main concern and you may get issue with any other cleaner except M400/500.
Buy M400, if you can M500...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.