What to do with suction port when you have a robot?

Sambo888

Bronze Supporter
Jul 5, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I'm a SWG pool owner considering going from side suction to a robot. Hoping this isn't a dumb question, but didn't find any answers to it while researching TFP.

What do folks w/ a SWG pool do with the side suction port once they get a robot? What do you suggest doing w/ the valve that directs flow b/w the skimmer & side suction port? Do you recommend moving to 100% skimmer with a lower flow rate in my variable speed pump? What i am trying to figure out is how do I continue generating enough chlorine via my SWG system and still get enough water through the filter to clean the pool. Do I even need to worry a about that?

I'm probably missing a lot in the way I am thinking about this, but would appreciate any direction on how someone w/ a SWG pool and a robot plan their water cleaning/chlorine generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same. Close the flow from the suction side port. No need for it.

Find your minimum rpm to close the flow switch. Start at 1500 rpm. If Flow is green, try 1400. Continue down until the Flow light is red. Then raise the rpm by 200-300 rpm and use that for your base pool mode.

I do program a couple elevated rpm (500 rpm above base) twice a day for 15 minutes or so to clear any air buildup in the pump basket. VS pumps can get a little air build up when running at low rpm for a long time.

Time you run the pool pump depends on how much you need for FC generation (likely over 12 hours at 100% SWCG setting for your pool) and skimming needs.

Find your minimum rpm to close the flow switch. Start at 1500 rpm. If Flow is green, try 1400. Continue down until the Flow light is red. Then raise the rpm by 200-300 rpm and use that for your base pool mode.

I do program a couple elevated rpm (500 rpm above base) twice a day for 15 minutes or so to clear any air buildup in the pump basket. VS pumps can get a little air build up when running at low rpm for a long time.

Time you run the pool pump depends on how much you need for FC generation (likely over 12 hours at 100% SWCG setting for your pool) and skimming needs.
Do you ever turn the suction side port on to clear out the standing water in the pipe? I do that every so often.

No. No light means nothing will grow.
The spring loaded cover bothered my robot. So I replaced the spring loaded cover with a flush screw in plug.
If you are concerned with the water in that line, drill a 1/8" hole or two in the plug and leave the valve open to that line.

I never thought about running the pump at a higher speed to get the air out :) Mine runs on low 18 hours a day and the basket looks half empty later in the day, I will try that!

Personally I have it mostly pull from the skimmer, but have it a little open from the side port on the pool just in case something happens and the water drops below the skimmer unexpectedly, or the skimmer clogs unexpectedly.

Circling back on my post, I pulled the trigger on an Active 30 from marina. Just dropped it in yesterday and adjusted the suction/pump settings. Now trying to figure out how much to run the pump to generate enough chlorine from the SWG. Set currently at 11 hours @ 85%. @mknauss - I'm adjusting off your suggestion in the earlier response. I assume that is a trial, measure and adjust process unless anyone has other suggestions.

I still can't get over the fact that the robot only runs 2 hours and can do the job my suction driven cleaner was doing. I've set it to run every other day. Again, any advice on how often to run or setting adjustment suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks all!

What i am trying to figure out is how do I continue generating enough chlorine via my SWG system and still get enough water through the filter to clean the pool.
Now trying to figure out how much to run the pump to generate enough chlorine from the SWG.

PoolMath will do the calculations to get an estimate. "Effects of Adding" --> "SWG" (Your IC40 generates 1.4 lbs/day)

Set currently at 11 hours @ 85%.
That will generate 2.7 FC every day. Probably not enough for Tempe in the summer.

I still can't get over the fact that the robot only runs 2 hours and can do the job my suction driven cleaner was doing. I've set it to run every other day.
The robot is awesome. I'm amazed how well mine cleans (and costs a penny an hour in electricity to operate).

Do you only have one skimmer?

Test your FC every day and adjust the SWCG until things stabilize.

I run my robot when the pool needs it. On average twice a week during the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.