What I Saw at Home Depot Yesterday...

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
Years ago, when I had much less money, and apparently less brains as well, I had bought my first house and did almost of of the renovations myself.

I had a 4 speed Toyota Tercel EZ hatchback at the time. I needed a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and some 4' x 8' sheetrock. Back then having something small like that delivered was not an option, and I was not renting a truck just to get that home (remember, dumb and poor).

I bought two 8' 2x4 studs and put them in the back, with about 4'6" in the car, and 3'6" sticking out, and then loaded the sheet goods in on top. I was fine for about 6 miles, and then I got to the section of the highway that is a pretty decent uphill area. As I am driving along, with every pothole and bump I hit, the steering got squirrelyer and squirrelyer - the load was slowing sliding out of the back of the car, and the shift in weight was taking the weight off of the front wheels.

I checked my rearview mirror and nobody was behind me, so I hit the brakes hard. The entire load shifted back into the car with a satisfying "thunk" into the back of the drivers seat, and then I made it the other mile or so home. Never tried to do that again.

Now if it does not fit in the Explorer, then my utility trailer makes the trip - much less nerve wracking.

I remember you!!!
FF2006F5-0659-47DB-9894-35201AE9143C.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Wobblerlorri

jseyfert3

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A 12 ft. deck board in my 5.5 truck bed yesterday wasn't particularly fun. But they make rope and bungee cords!
Crew cab....everything in life is a trade off.
Ah yes, just like this? A 14' 2x4 I got for leveling my pool area. 5'8” bed.
IMG_20200619_163332304_HDR.jpg

I considered buying a standard (6'5”) bed, but crew cab with standard bed wouldn't fit in my garage. This one does...with about 1" of clearance front and rear...

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
Ah yes, just like this
I go right in the back window up to the dash. A 12 footer fits perfect inside the short bed. I use a washcloth or a T-shirt on the dash. The 14 would have had to hang over ~2 ft but it still would have been 100X better using the inside.

jseyfert3

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I go right in the back window up to the dash. A 12 footer fits perfect inside the short bed. I use a washcloth or a T-shirt on the dash. The 14 would have had to hang over ~2 ft but it still would have been 100X better using the inside.
Huh. I always forget my truck even has a back window...

That makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.