Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC3 (RC-42)
In the process of converting from my old EasyTouch Upgrade panel to IntelliCenter, I'm confused about the purpose of one of the relays. The relay is run from the SPA output (under the AUX and PUMP outputs on the controller board). The relay Line connection is jumpered from the Filter Pump relay Load side. Presumably, this means the relay is energized and provides 220v to its Load side when the pool is in SPA mode and the Filter Pump is running. The relay load wires seem to run down into one of the PVC conduits exiting the load center and into the ground. I can't for the life of me figure out what this can possibly run.

Our system is a single body (spillway between Spa and Pool) with one main pump and one heater. SPA mode operates the valves to isolate the Spa, and change the temp to the Spa's higher temp setting. The jets run off two separate circuits with their own pumps, and controlled by one of the AUX relays. There are no other features in the Spa to be run off the relay.

Any ideas what this relay connected to SPA mode control might be meant to do?

J,

I suggest that you turn on the spa and then unplug the relay coil wire connected to the 'spa' output and see what shuts off.

Blower, Heater, Spa pump?????

Let us know what you find..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well, we're closed down for the season. It can't be the heater since that runs pool and spa and is fully controlled by the fireman's loop. It's not the jets since they are on separate pumps, with separate wiring (I've confirmed that) via an AUX relay. We do not have a booster pump for the spa (which I assume would generally be the main purpose for this relay).

J,

Oh well... you'll just have to wait for next year and see if anything does not work.

Not many people use the Spa relay output.

I use it to switch my EasyTouch from controlling my Pool to controlling the heater in my standalone spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK, found it, but I'm still left somewhat confused. The SPA relay is providing power to my SWG. Makes sense that it's only powered when the filter pump is running (recall that the SPA relay Line feed comes from the filter pump relay Load side). However, it doesn't make sense that the SPA relay should control the SWG. I know for a fact that the SWG is powered and operating when the pool is not in SPA mode, so somehow this relay is somehow not acting as a SPA relay (even though it's connected to the SPA output on the ET board.

Anyway, mystery (partially) solved, and this is all going to change when I swap out the ET for for my new IntelliCenter.

J,

Are you sure it is not turning off your Salt cell when in the spa mode???

Most automation systems reduce the cell's output in the spa mode. Maybe yours just shuts it off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That could be it. I'll check if the relay is wired NC vs. NO (if that's configurable). I don't recall a software Setting that would configure the relay to operate opposite (off in SPA mode).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.