What did you do to your pool today?

When my water gets cold my SWG stops working so I have to start dosing manually. I have to maintain my pool all year but only get to swim in it for less than half of that. Hmmm, who's got the better deal? :unsure:

Sorry, I side-tracked a thread again. This is more about what we're going to do tomorrow, not what we did today! Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I put on the safety mesh cover. I can undo 6 or 7 straps to test and dose my water. I have let the FC drift down to 4.5, and so I added 700ml of polyquat 60 [diluted in 4-5 litre pails of pool water]. I still have the pump running. Today I will add another 100ml. Temp is holding at 52°F so I will be closing in the next day or two. The leaves are changing soon to be falling.

Dirk, I am in the same boat as Mariane. I also get solid ice. No algae with cold water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk
I have not yet ordered one, but that is next on the list. I was actually thinking of using a 15' x 4' canvas tarp. I wanted to wait to see the diameter when rolled up. I just rolled up the scrap (had to order 20 x 40 when I needed 15 x 40). It looks like it is only about 1 foot in diameter, so the cover needs to be ~4'.

But honestly, the cover is going to be off the pool on the reel a maximum of 1 hour per day. And in the summer, I plan to move the entire thing to the garage. In July/August, I have more issues with keeping the pool less than 90F, then keeping the temperature up.

We are about to get a "cold"-front, where we will have overnights in the upper 50's and daytime around 80F. The cover should help keep temp up by reducing evaporation and letting the sun heat the pool. Water is 82F, up from 78F this morning.

I closed yesterday -- brought FC up to SLAM level, added poly 60, circulated for an hour. Put steps and pillow in the middle, anchored to sides. Put on cover, weighted with old empty bleach jugs filled with water. Will add 2 c 6% chlorine weekly through the winter.

Today we put the leaf net on, since the giant oak out front is starting to drop its leaves. Rained overnight some, but not enough to pump off yet -- brand new cover pump, can't wait to try it out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water temp is 84 degrees here - a bit on the cold side for a swim.
Added liquid chlorine to keep FC at 8ppm - the water has been crystal clear despite the onslaught of falling leaves.
Cleaned out the cartridge filter yesterday - very satisfying to see all the captured "stuff" go away.
Don't know how you manage to swim at 77 deg!
Cheers,

Last edited:
What is the "ice" of which you speak?

I was in Houston for meetings in February 2011 when the blizzards came through NE Oklahoma. We had 20+ inches of snow in our area. Caught a break between storms so we could catch a flight down. 1 runway opened in Tulsa. Temps dropped just below freezing in Houston, 29 degrees if I remember correctly. The whole place shut down by 1pm. Highways were closed, everyone out of school, most businesses closed. Not a lick of ice anywhere to be found. Funniest part is I almost busted my rear slipping on all of the ice melt that they threw down on the sidewalk. I don't even think the Taco Cabana by Houston Hobby has a heater in it, after freezing my rear off eating a taco platter. Pretty sure you guys thought you were at that point. :LOL:

LOL! I get it, you guys aren't prepped for that kind of stuff, so you have to be cautious. Just funny seeing different regions react to weather that they aren't used to.

--Jeff

I was in Houston for meetings in February 2011 when the blizzards came through NE Oklahoma. We had 20+ inches of snow in our area. Caught a break between storms so we could catch a flight down. 1 runway opened in Tulsa. Temps dropped just below freezing in Houston, 29 degrees if I remember correctly. The whole place shut down by 1pm. Highways were closed, everyone out of school, most businesses closed. Not a lick of ice anywhere to be found. Funniest part is I almost busted my rear slipping on all of the ice melt that they threw down on the sidewalk. I don't even think the Taco Cabana by Houston Hobby has a heater in it, after freezing my rear off eating a taco platter. Pretty sure you guys thought you were at that point. :LOL:

LOL! I get it, you guys aren't prepped for that kind of stuff, so you have to be cautious. Just funny seeing different regions react to weather that they aren't used to.

--Jeff
I never got it until I traveled to Boston for a training class and the had zero temp and 2’ of snow. We called and ask if training was cancelled and they were like “ no why” 😄
Then I saw noticed freaking snow plow trucks cars tricycles everywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo1Ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support