NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So what are these holes just chipped out of the waterline tile above each jet? It’s my sister in laws new hot tub and it doesn’t look right to me. They literally just drilled a hole in the tile and it’s chipped up.
They said they think they need them because water comes out of it when the vent is covered up. So they think it has a purpose, but shouldn’t there be a finished fitting over it then?

Attachments

• 4EC20B23-8D24-49AB-B001-F9ADD2956FDC.png
    4EC20B23-8D24-49AB-B001-F9ADD2956FDC.png
    498.9 KB · Views: 149
I believe so I wasn’t there when it was on, but they just leave it unfinished looking like that? Is there a finished piece that goes over it to trim the cut tile?
They said water comes out of them if suction is covered in the bottom drain.

It’s a brand new hot tub, so weird. Is there anything to make them look more finished?

Those look like air holes for the jets. I only see those in older pools. That is the way they used to do the air for the jets. Would also see small holes in the deck just above the jet for the same purpose.
Do they just leave them open like that unfinished looking or is their something that goes over them still serving it’s purpose but finishing it off instead of rough tile exposed?

I do not believe anything goes over them. As said above, very old design. Not done in modern pools with proper plumbing design.

Thanks, these people… same guys who did my pool. Why would any pool builder build a brand new pool like that in a brand new home. Atleast cut the tile around the hole as close to exact as possible and caulk a clean line. Some are chipped, the one is a square cut out.
Just so I can tell my sister in law, how is it typically done the new way?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The air intake is at the pad or some other area. Mine is across the yard. A Hartford Loop is used for the spa jets.

Can you send me a photo of what the valve knobs look like? So I can show her as an option. Can they go inside the hot tub where the holes are?

Don't think a valve knob will work for you given the location(s). That appears to be a relatively small hole. You may be able to get an eyeball type (without the eyeball) insider fitting in 1/2". You MAY be able to get it in black, but i wouldn't hold out much hope for anything other than white in that small a size. You would also have to chip out around opening to expose the inside of the pipe to get the fitting on. That in itself may cause more damage aesthetically to the project.

That is really old old school amd sloppily done. They make grates for anything these days. I would find a dark grey and cover them up with molly anchors amd colored screws so it looks cleaner. Usually see them with knobs on the deck. This install does not let you turn off air function, and looks bad too

I imagine the conversation went like this:

"Um, boss? We forgot to plumb out the spa air intake line."
"You dumb ****. Well, drill some holes in the tiles. Maybe they won't notice."

If it were me, I'd tell the PB that I did, in fact, notice, and ask him to provide some proper grates.

Reactions: borjis

Attachments

• 6FC39E37-1AEA-4817-8C1E-EC5522EB7697.jpeg
    6FC39E37-1AEA-4817-8C1E-EC5522EB7697.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.