What are all these valves for?

seauubee

Jun 23, 2020
Camarillo, California
We just moved into a house with a 40' X 20' pool with integrated Jacuzzi. It's very rough, the house and the pool. :) Lot's of chipped surfaces. The pool/spa system includes solar. The first thing we want to get a handle on is: what are all the valves and how do we use them?
pool_plumbing_06_reduced.jpg

pool_plumbing_03_reduced.jpg

pool_plumbing_08_reduced.jpg

TIA
Curt

Last edited:
gonna need mo' pics. 1st pic has three black lines; 2 are coming out of the pool (skimmer and drain) the other is coming out of the spa. Joins together and heads into the pump and out of the pump. Into the filter (sand?) and out of the bottom. Next goes into the heater and looks like it has a heater by pass as well. After that I have no clue.

gonna need mo' pics. 1st pic has three black lines; 2 are coming out of the pool (skimmer and drain) the other is coming out of the spa. Joins together and heads into the pump and out of the pump. Into the filter (sand?) and out of the bottom. Next goes into the heater and looks like it has a heater by pass as well. After that I have no clue.
Thanks ... I added pics and labeled items.
Curt

V1 & V2 are your pool and spa intake valves as Roscoe already noted.

V3 & V6 look like solar isolation valves, V5 is a motorized diverter valve for solar - do you have automation for that?

I guess that would mean V4 is for the pool and spa return lines, but it's hard to make out from the photos.

Box1 & Box2 are junction boxes for your pool/spa lights.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

I have added some labeling which I think is correct. (please correct as needed)

I think I'm beginning to understand but there is a "solar loop" that has me baffled. Water from the roof panels feed along the bottom and up through V6. Then to a "T", one port to a pipe going down to the gas heater and the other port to V5. V5 is as you said, a motorized diverter valve for solar. It is automatically controlled by a Aquastar II Solar Controller. (if it's functioning properly)

The output of the gas heater goes to V4 which controls the hot water split between pool and spa.

I have adjusted V1 to control the flow of the vacuum to keep it from tangling.

The solar system has sensors, I think one on the roof. (there is a wire from V5 that leads to the roof) Also a wire shown in first pic (bottom center) that goes straight into the concrete next to one of the return pipes. ??

How, why and when does the "solar loop" work? Does it work without the gas heater being on? What should I look for when pressing "Test" ?

There is a solid non-insulated wire that goes from the pump to the heater. ??

What is the purpose of V3 and V6? When and why would I adjust them?

Thanks again ...

Curt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.