West Michigan Fiberglass Pool 2021

Rango

Mar 27, 2021
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hello TFP,

I just stumbled onto your site and have been poking around trying to learn as much as I can. I have started the process of purchasing a fiberglass pool direct from Leisure Pools and I have a lot of questions. In my signature should be the pool and equipment that has been proposed but after reading some other posts, this seems to be a bit overkill on equipment. That said, I don't want to under purchase equipment and be unhappy with performance and have issues down the road. We have a small yard so the pool will be a tight fit in our location be we are very excited to hopefully be swimming in 2021.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Rango

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new pool. You are getting a good sized filter and SWG, but that's fine. Less effort on the SWG (longer cell life) and less cleaning intervals with the filter. Main drains .... well........ pros and cons with those. Not so sure you really need them in a pool your size. Convenient to sweep dirt into, but a bit more effort at closing time each winter as well. Maybe others will have some thoughts on that one. Be sure to request a gravel backfill, not sand for better stability. Best of luck on the install.

Welcome to the forum.

I have read it's better to get a 2 speed or variable speed pump.
Get a VS pump now. Quieter, cheaper to operate.
You will need a method to remove the power from your SWCG when the pump is off. A simple timer for the SWCG will work.
Can I go with no main drains or is that how the pool is manufactured?
You can absolutely go without main drains. They are not required, and as Pat pointed out, more work at closing for winter.

Welcome to the forum.

Get a VS pump now. Quieter, cheaper to operate.
You will need a method to remove the power from your SWCG when the pump is off. A simple timer for the SWCG will work.

You can absolutely go without main drains. They are not required, and as Pat pointed out, more work at closing for winter.
mknauss,

Hayward makes a couple .85 hp VS pumps. Do you think that is adequate or should I look for something 1.5 hp or greater? The pool has no water features or spa.

Have never heard of that small of a VS pump. My concern would be how fast will you need to run it to close the flow switch on the SWCG and thus not really have much cost savings. A larger HP VS pump can be run lower rpm at a greater electrical cost savings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.