weird results after treating pool

bendog14

Mar 18, 2019
TX
Relatively new pool (swim spa) owner here. 2000 gal. The pool side was just drained and refilled this past weekend due to high CYA and TC levels from overtreating (due to bad test kits & mixing up reagent bottles).

Initial test results (using Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 Test Kit 2056) @63 degrees F (done at 7:15PM last night):
FC 1.71
TC 3.64
PH 8.2
ALY 144
CH 245
CYA 13

I added Sodium Bisulfate to try and bring the PH and ALY down. The bottle said 2000 gal @ 8.2PH required 8 TBSP. My AquaCheck pool & spa care guide said to lower ALY by 30 would require 32 TBSP for 2000 gal. It also said to lower the PH (when between 8.0-8.4) required 16TBSP. I went with the conservative 8 TBSP.

I also added 18TBSP of MPS shock oxidzer to bring up the FC level. This morning (with the pool having heated up to 81 degrees), I retested:

FC 1.18
TC 9.69
PH 8.0
ALY 157
CH 235
CYA 31

It makes sense the PH would decrease only slightly, but how could ALY go up? More importantly, how could TC shoot up, FC go down and CYA increase if I added non-chlorine shock? I'm completely baffled, and I don't want to overtreat my pool again. Please help!
Ben

Welcome to the forum!
Realize that this forum does not recommend that test kit as your primary test, nor the use of dry acid or MPS. So we will need to wait for the members that have experience in those products.

I do know that non-chlorine 'shock' shows up as CC. You must have a different test to manage a pool with that.

I would suggest that your non-repeatable test results are due to that type of tester. It is not as accurate as a drop test like the Taylor K2006C or TF100.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.